Best zs3/tz7 Underwater settings - Draft for Comments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kevmiami

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been a huge fan of the series of cameras since the TZ1. IMHO they ruined the camera by going to a CMOS censor, but such is life. Just started diving again and have used this camera for snorkeling, but now have gotten serious and bought a YS110a, a spare camera ($109), aftermarket batteries and am ready to go. Have tried to go through all the discussions/reviews and pull together the best settings to start with and see how it goes. I'm going to Bonaire in early Feb and fortunately/unfortunately, that will be the first time I will have use rig, so trying to eliminate as much trial/error on paper as possible.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

Panasonic TZ-7 / ZS-3 Best Underwater Settings - On Paper Anyway (DRAFT)

- Compiled from Forums and Reviews - My apologies for no individual credit, but thank you to everyone!

Zoom Ranges
Pairs
1x = 5mm = 28mm (Equiv)3.3 / 8Each focal length uses a set pair of apertures
2x = 10mm = 58mm (Equiv)4.4 /10
4x = 18mm = 112mm (Equiv)4.7 /11
7x = 33mm = 200mm (Equiv)4.8 /11
10x = 46mm = 280mm (Equiv)4.9 /11
Normal Pic Mode
PhotoVideoMenuComments
Exposure
ISO100Q-MenuKeep range within 80 - 200 for best results.
Intelligent ISO (i-ISO)OffMenu - 3Uses 1/125 down to 1/30; increasing ISO to isolate movement, up to ISO 1000
Intelligent Exposure (i&#1060:wink:OffQ-MenuStarts ISO 100 - when hits shutter speed of 1/30th; incr ISO 1/3 step to ISO 200, then decr below 1/30th
Min Shutter Speed1/125 - 1/250Main - 4Use 1/250 (fastest available) to stop fast fish
EV Compensation-1/3&#652; Press < > change 1/3 stop
Auto BracketOff&#652;&#652; Press < > change 1/3 stop (changes shutter speed)
Stabilizer (OIS)Auto (Default 2)Main - 3Mode 2 - Photo; Mode 1 - LCD & Photo (use when set at long zoom) - Off (when on tripod) - Auto
Metering ModeCenter Wghtd for Wide AngleIntelligent MultipleMain - 2Intelligent Multiple (.) - Center Weighted ( ) {75% Center} - Spot {very focused}
Focusing
AF (Auto Focus) ModeSpot (or)
AF Tracking
Q-MenuPreferred to ignore back-scatter or background
Moving target - press v to activate
Pre AF ModeOffQuickMain - 1Off - Quick (focuses when detects camera shake) - Continuous (focuses when shutter pressed halfway)
AF Assist LampOffMain - 4
White Balance & Color
Color SettingVividVividMain - 3Vivid = Better sharpness & increased saturation
AWBWhite SetQ-Menu"Shade Mode" has most red
Manual White Bal SetMain - 2Set with white card
Manual White Bal Adjust&#652;&#652;&#652;Select more red or more blue manually - Press < >
Other SettingsUsing Extreme 32gb Class 10 SDHC Card
Aspect Ratio4:3 (10mp)16:9 (9mp)Q-Menu
LCD Power ModeHighOffQ-MenuOff - Auto - High
Economy - Auto LCD Off30secTool - 3(Off - 15sec - 30sec)
Economy -Power SaveOffTool - 3(Off - 2min - 5min - 10min) Turns Camera Off
Auto ReviewHoldTool - 3(Off - 1sec - 2sec - Hold - Zoom in for 1 sec)
Zoom ResumeOnTool - 3Camera starts zoom at last setting
Flash Setting on CameraForced>>>(Fires pre-flash for TTL, but not red eye pre-flash)
Macro
Macro ZoomNot RecommendN/RvvLocks lens at 28mm & uses digital zoom
Tele MacroApprox 9.5xvThis is sweet spot (min distance approximately 4.5'), better than wide-angle at 5 cm
YS-110a Flash Settings
TTLUse TTL when subject fills frame, otherwise manual
Slave
PowerStart with half-power and approximately f8
Intelligent Auto (iA) Mode
Nighttime OnlyRecommendTop DialVideo will select: portrait, scenery, low light and macro; detect any faces and brighten shadows
Panorama Assist SceneMain - ScnLocks Focus and Exposure
Underwater SceneNot RecommendMain - ScnManually adjust WB below 30'; Uses auto ISO; 1/30th is too slow, but has focus lock

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom