beta blockers and DCI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sandi

Reaction score
Is there any change in nitrogen loading and off-gassing when using small doseage beta blockers such as tenormin? I am about to do a live-aboard followed by a 48 hour no-diving and then a few days of cavediving. No flying involved, but there may be some deco diving involved in the cavediving. I know there is a lot we don't know about the effects of multiple day diving, but I wonder if we do know anything about the effects of such drugs on tissue loading and unloading.

Other than beneficial effects of lowering blood pressure and an antiarrhythmic effect, beta blockers also blunt the 'fight or flight reaction' (stress reaction). This is thought by some to be possibly harmful to a diver in that s/he cannot respond maximally to a dangerous stressful situation with increases in pulse rate and blood pressure to supply the heart with oxygenated blood needed for the emergency. This inability to respond can result in heart failure

Others feel that this is not much of a problem in recreational divers and that if the original blood pressure elevation or heart irregularity is being managed, that there will be little to be concerned about.
In addition to the effects noted above, beta blockers can cause constriction of blood vessels to hands and can aggravate asthma.

To my knowledge it has no effect on the uptake or offgassing of nitrogen by the tissues.

Good things!

scubadoc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom