Question Time between diving and exercise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Start here…tried to drill down but on my phone so I might’ve missed a link. He developed a functional fitness program with tanks and provides photos, etc.

He doesn’t participate in ScubaBoard anymore so you’ll have to reach out some other way.

There’s also the GUE fitness manual. I think I paid $19 for the download. It’s comprehensive and well-written/easily digested.

Here's the link to the exercises I modified using cylinders:

I popped back to give you guys the basic exercises. In reality, all you really need to stay in really decent shape is an old military fitness test. Run 1.5 miles in 12 minutes or less, do 2 minutes of push-ups, 2 minutes of pull-ups, and 2 minutes of sit-ups. Add a 300 shuttle run or sprints and you'll feel it.

If you just have the ground and basic cave/tech gear, you can use the tools in the environment for fitness. The link above should take you there. Sets and reps and tempo depend on your fitness needs.

Keep in mind, exercise before diving if you are clear of inert gases is thought to reduce DCS risk. Light activity during safety or deco stops can be beneficial. For example, I practice valve drills if I think I need to move a little for circulatory benefits. Exercise after diving increases risk. I did heavy squats, military presses, and pull-ups about 16 to 18 hours after teaching advanced trimix (worked out around 4 AM) and ended up bent around 10 AM after a deco dive to 90 feet.

If you want an excellent program to be in shape for water rescues, Charleston County Parks has you covered. https://www.ccprc.com/DocumentCente...for-the-USLA-Ocean-Rescue-Lifeguard-Tests-PDF

Back
Top Bottom