Liveaboard insurance for UK divers diving abroad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ukPaul

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, I have a Egypt liveaboard booked and was looking at advice on insurance. Dan along with a standard travel insurance seems to be the recommendation, but not sure who to go with for the standard travel part.

I have just used LV up till now as they cover you down to 40m with their Premier policy, seem to have a good reputation for (non scuba) claims and have stated that they will cover Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) in a hyperbaric chamber if "deemed medically necessary". In correspondence with them for my next liveaboard trip however they point out that they only cover liveaboards within 12 nautical miles of the mainland and I notice that my next liveaboard in Egypt will be visiting sites just under 20 miles out.

I've seen Staysure and DAN being recommended by some uk divers elsewhere but I have noticed that Staysure only cover to 30m, and I like most people on a dive holiday am often diving slightly deeper. Presumably the idea is that isn't a problem as DAN is covering the dive part of the holiday, I just worry that if DAN say they are the secondary insurer and so expect Staysure to cover some of the costs arising from an incident, that Staysure could then not pay out as my computer shows I dived to 31m?

Who do other UK divers insure with when diving on liveaboards abroad, any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Aviva annual global travel policy - pays for itself in 2 trips but only covers scuba down to 30 m. I also have DAN insurance that I covers me to 40 meters and would be primary claim if I had a diving incident, never checked with them about them being secondary insurers however would DAN have that fight with Aviva if it came to a claim

Thanks for the reply noserider I'll have a look at Aviva. Any other suggestions from people in the UK?

Thanks for the reply. I presume you're planning on just using Westfield on it's own rather than Westfield and DAN as well?

I know a lot of people favour DAN for the diving part as in the event of an incident, they take it over rather than some incidents I've heard of where treatment is delayed whilst the insurers argue about what they will cover and at what location.

Thanks for the reply. I presume you're planning on just using Westfield on it's own rather than Westfield and DAN as well?

I know a lot of people favour DAN for the diving part as in the event of an incident, they take it over rather than some incidents I've heard of where treatment is delayed whilst the insurers argue about what they will cover and at what location.
Why use DAN when Westfield provide it all.

I have my annual travel policy for all the standard travel, cancellations, topside stuff. And I have DAN Sport Silver with DAN Europe for diving (unlimited depth, well to 130M then pre approve of the plan is required). I keep them very separate, and I'd still want my DAN cover for UK diving etc outside of my standard travel policy.

I have my annual travel policy for all the standard travel, cancellations, topside stuff. And I have DAN Sport Silver with DAN Europe for diving (unlimited depth, well to 130M then pre approve of the plan is required). I keep them very separate, and I'd still want my DAN cover for UK diving etc outside of my standard travel policy.
This statement from the underwriter on the DAN Europe site is interesting:
"IDA is authorised to Passport outside Malta under Freedom of Services to the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden."

Notice the UK isn't listed.

This statement from the underwriter on the DAN Europe site is interesting:
"IDA is authorised to Passport outside Malta under Freedom of Services to the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden."

Notice the UK isn't listed.
That's absolutely a non issue. The UK wouldn't be listed in EU passporting legislation, it no longer applies post Brexit. The business is now covered under separate legislation post Brexit, and no longer operates under the EU passporting equivalence legislation. Business is now conducted under the relevant UK TPR authorised with the PRA. Another example is DAN Europe/IDA are also authorised to provide insurance services in Switzerland, regulated by Swiss Authorities FINMA, which again isn't listed under EU Passporting/above. Post the 'Brexit Transition Period' all documentation was updated to remove reference to the passporting activities of licensed entities in or out of the UK. Full detail in the MFSA circular from 2020, and IDA's own annual Solvency and Financial Condition Reports.

Back
Top Bottom