Liveaboard insurance for UK divers diving abroad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's absolutely a non issue. The UK wouldn't be listed in EU passporting legislation, it no longer applies post Brexit. The business is now covered under separate legislation post Brexit, and no longer operates under the EU passporting equivalence legislation. Business is now conducted under the relevant UK TPR authorised with the PRA. Another example is DAN Europe/IDA are also authorised to provide insurance services in Switzerland, regulated by Swiss Authorities FINMA, which again isn't listed under EU Passporting/above. Post the 'Brexit Transition Period' all documentation was updated to remove reference to the passporting activities of licensed entities in or out of the UK. Full detail in the MFSA circular from 2020, and IDA's own annual Solvency and Financial Condition Reports.
Interestingly IDA Insurance Ltd on GOV.UK was dissolved. And they’re show on the FCA site as not authorised, since October last year, to conduct business in the U.K.

Interesting about IDA, I hadn't realised that was the case. I assume that is a result of Brexit and means that they are no longer regulated by the FCA, however being from the UK I can still be covered by them?

I currently have an annual family DAN policy this is in addition to travel insurance provided by my bank account. Seems to work for me, although I haven't had to claim.

I did have to cancel a trip last year - my wife broke her leg a few weeks before an Egyptian liveaboard and wasn't allowed to fly. At the time we had travel cover from Staysure and they were pretty good to deal with. It took a couple of weeks but we got a full refund of flights and liveaboard costs, less a fairly small excess.

I have used Westfield in the past and found them very good to deal with (and they are based close to where I live), but their prices for annual family cover is way too high compared to other offerings, so doesn't work for me anymore.

Interesting about IDA, I hadn't realised that was the case. I assume that is a result of Brexit and means that they are no longer regulated by the FCA, however being from the UK I can still be covered by them?

I currently have an annual family DAN policy this is in addition to travel insurance provided by my bank account. Seems to work for me, although I haven't had to claim.

I did have to cancel a trip last year - my wife broke her leg a few weeks before an Egyptian liveaboard and wasn't allowed to fly. At the time we had travel cover from Staysure and they were pretty good to deal with. It took a couple of weeks but we got a full refund of flights and liveaboard costs, less a fairly small excess.

I have used Westfield in the past and found them very good to deal with (and they are based close to where I live), but their prices for annual family cover is way too high compared to other offerings, so doesn't work for me anymore.
I’ve found the annual fee with Westfield is only worthwhile if doing more than two trips a year. Never made a claim, even with the pandemic all the hotels and airlines returned my monies in full. Even when booked with a no-refund clause (Amari Don Muang Airport Hotel - who I’ve used a few times since).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom