Better inspection needed? Tank & Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Timoblue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I picked up a new pony bottle and valve in June, this year in Florida. Valve was removed for airport security reasons for the flight back to our home in the Virgin Islands.

The valve has not been replaced since, having passed through various US and UK airports recently to reach a new home.

Some later unpacking however reveals that both the bottle and valve have been disturbed. Rough handling in between of luggage somewhere along the way. Not to mention AA's inability to compensate for.. Whine n Cheez that one at some point:D

Anyways.

Both are brand new, should i still get them inspected by my LDS. The valve was secured in a box on packing for the long haul, but was out of the box on unpacking the cases.

If the tank was left open, I would have someone take a looksey inside to make sure nothing made it's way into the tank, like a dirty sock or something. Maybe blow the tank out then put on the valve.

When I travel with a small tank, I take off the valve and pack it in a zip-lock bag and carry it on. I screw a cap onto the tank and put a note on it to TSA to please replace the cap after inspection. Then, I put a sneaky little piece of clear tape that will come off if it's opened, and after several trips, TSA has never opened any of my tanks to look inside.

See post below:
First of all when you arrive with a cylinder with no pressure it should be mandatory to take a peek inside and inspect it.
Oh contrare my friend :wink:. Careful with the valve (sealed in bag), careful with the tank (keep it capped), and I just put on the valve and I'm good to go :eyebrow:.

First of all when you arrive with a cylinder with no pressure it should be mandatory to take a peek inside and inspect it. Since I assume you have a June sticker they may do this as courtesy or charge the $15 (est) fee.

Just what is the nature of the damage?

Pete

Why don't you look inside the bottle just to make sure it's dry, I assume this is an AL bottle. If it's clean and dry, and you're comfortable putting the valve on, just do that and get some scuba air in it to keep it dry. This also assumes it has a current VIP sticker, which you need even though it's brand new. When you put the valve on, make sure you coat the threads with Christolube, silicone (if you're not going to use high percentage O2 and/or partial pressure blending) or molycoat. Use just enough to prevent the threads from seizing and do not lubricate the o-ring. You might already know this stuff, if so, sorry to bore you!

Once it's done you can get a little air from a scuba tank just by holding the valve faces together tightly, and opening the valves for a few seconds, it really works. If you have a nice transfill whip, even better. You can use two regs and a HP hose connecting them if you get a fitting.

If you have an unusually nice dive shop near by, you could take it to them and explain the situation. If they see a valid sticker, they might put the valve on for you and fill it w/out charging you for the inspection.

Rick.

Thanks for the reply.

Tank looks to be good and was secured over the opening with a little sticky tape i put on previous to departure.

This has not been removed since and has held in place. There is no immediate damage to the tank.

I was a little uncertain regarding the travel time without the valve attached, socks or not.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom