Better Spear Tip Protector ?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k4kafka

Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest an alternative to the Mako-provided, cheap yellow plastic spear tip protector ?

If you have purchased one of our ORANGE tip protectors ($2.50) and you are dis-satisfied with it for any reason, please give us a call during normal business hours and we would be happy to issue a full refund.

MSTP.1-2.jpg

Perhaps this thread should be moved from the MAKO Manufacturer section to the spearfishing section?

Just use an old band. The tube is hallow inside and works great.

image.jpeg

Old garden hose section cut longer than needed. Bend one end over with section of looped rope in crease and zip tie hose in place.

Last edited:
The high quality Mako speartip protector is inexpensive protection for your gear from getting cuts or damaged. It has better UV resistance than bands/surgical tubing and will last years longer. I like it better than my red Riffe or my black Omer tip protectors. The hardware store has other alternatives such as tubing or stoppers. I use a rubber stopper on my polespear 3 prong paralyzer. I also use stiff clear tubing on my sliptips.. I tie a piece of line looped through clear tubing to help it from getting lost.

If you have purchased one of our ORANGE tip protectors ($2.50) and you are dis-satisfied with it for any reason, please give us a call during normal business hours and we would be happy to issue a full refund.

MSTP.1-2.jpg

Perhaps this thread should be moved from the MAKO Manufacturer section to the spearfishing section?
This looks quite nice...will it fit the 5 prong cluster tip?

MSTP.1-2.jpg

Sorry for the confusion, I apologize. I should have realized when you mentioned yellow that you were referring to the protector for the POLE SPEAR and our 5-prong tip. This cap comes (for free) as part of the three in one, Traveler pole spear and also the lionfish spear. The orange tip protector is for our spearguns.

3 in 1 Traveler Pole Spear | MAKO Spearguns

I agree that the yellow cap it is not the most robust device and could be lost or worn out – it is more suited as a protector for shipping rather than a device that is to be reused on many dive outings.

Your complaint/inquiry is both welcome and timely; I am going to begin working on an upgrade option right away. Hopefully I will be able to announce a solution within a few weeks.

I also want to thank the members for their helpful DIY suggestions. We may be able to incorporate some of those ideas in our final design.

Please accept my apology if the initial response seemed terse; this type of customer feedback is extremely helpful in allowing me to make meaningful improvements to our gear selection. The 3 in 1 Traveler pole spear and lionfish spear have been popular items – thanks for reminding me that it is time to come up with a solution.

Thanks
Dano

Back
Top Bottom