Beuchalt: Good deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BetterLateThannever

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone out there. I ran across a Beuchalt BC on sale in one of the local dive stores for $199.95. Normal Stick was for $485.00. It has front and rear purge valves, stainless steel rings, not weight integrated. Felt good when I tried it on.

Problem is, I am completely new to diving and have never owned a BC before. Is this a good deal?

The claim it's on sale because:

1.) Close-out
2.) Non-weight integrated while most people are moving to the weight integrated BCs

Hi, Betterlate...

The price is great, but once you try integrated weights, you will probably be a convert--we were! So, my advice, before buying, try an integrated BC if you can.

On the other hand the price is right! But that reminds me of Harry Truman who once said he wanted to have a one-armed economist on his staff. That was because everytime he asked one of his then-current economists a question, he/she would say,"Well, this is what I think, but on the other hand....." and HST could never get any straight advice!

I think intergrated vs. wt belts is a matter of personal preference. So, if you can, try first, buy second.

Joewr

I don't have the luxury of taking my time and trying different BCs as this one is a one of a kind sale item.

I believe I will get it. Having no experience with the integrated models; I won't know what I am missing anyway.

Thanks for your feedback.

Jim

BetterLate,

Keep in mind that much dive gear "feels great" in the shop.
It is when you have ALL of the gear on in the water that
weaknesses in design are apparent.

If the shop will allow you to try it out in a pool (or better yet, OPEN WATER) you'll get the best 'feel' for
whether or not the BC is going to serve you well.

G_M

ps. many of us have BOXES of gear that looked and felt nice in the shop but when we dove it several times we learned,
too late, that it wasn't quite what we hoped.

And that is why I use the pool at my LDS to test stuff.

Joewr

Just a follow up to the original post, just in case anyone was interested. After much deliberation I decided against the Beuchalt BC.

One - I could find no one with first hand experience with one.

Two - I decided to buy from the same dive shop I am being OW certified through, as this is nearer my home and will most likely be my base of operation in the future.

Three - The diveshop owner personally recommended the AquaLung Malibu RDS after using it himself on a recent dive trip to Akumal.

I have been in the water with it once since I bought it and I really do like it. The rear float concept seems to feel less bulky in the water and the Malibu RDS in particular feels good and snug with none of the movement I experienced with the rental unit.

Anyway, thought I owed everyone that took the time to respond a final report.

Thanks,

Jimbo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom