Beware of wolf eels - deadly sea monsters!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sintax604

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I came across this clip from a show called Deadliest Catch... not exactly a depiction of the wolf eels that we know and love. I wonder if someone will start making steel shank fins so these evil creatures don't eat our feet!

Deadliest Catch - Wolf Eel

I came across this clip from a show called Deadliest Catch... not exactly a depiction of the wolf eels that we know and love. I wonder if someone will start making steel shank fins so these evil creatures don't eat our feet!

Deadliest Catch - Wolf Eel

Calling wolf eel a "sea monster" is like calling a golden retriever an "attack dog".

What a sorry-ass excuse for a TV show ... the sad thing is that people will believe this stuff ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don't know Bob, I remember being "savagely attacked" by a Wolf Eel -- all the while my "buddies" were watching, perhaps afraid to help me (or perhaps, they were laughing so hard they couldn't clear their masks! -- hmmm, do you remember which?).

[Note -- for the record, NWGD was one of those "buddies" who was laughing so hard he couldn't, hey, the real word is he wouldn't!, try to help me avoid this "savage" animal! Memo to self -- when looking for wolfies, don't wear white gloves which make your fingers look like sausages!]

That poor wolfie was the victim ... other divers have been feeding her, and white drygloves look like five squid to a wolfie ... so she just thought you were bringing her something to eat ... :popcorn:

Besides ... it was hugely entertaining watching you using your scooter to "discourage" her approach ... :rofl3:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wolfeels, or "wolfies" as people call them in the PNW are considered cute and friendly by divers. They're funny looking creatures with faces "only a mother could love." They're rather humorous and gentle creatures, and definitely do not deserve to be portrayed like this. They're all over the waters around Liquivision headquarters and are like puppy dogs of the sea.

I'm going out diving this weekend to a spot known for them, hoping to come nose-to-nose with as many as possible.

-Doug
Liquivision Marketing & Sales Manager

It'll bite your foot off, Doug ... especially after I get done rubbing herring juice all over your booties ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wolf eels are delicious. I've speared many of them. However, once you ram a shaft into their head, they really do become somewhat of a monster. They will try very hard to bite and they have powerful jaws. I've almost blacked out twice and once was fighting a wolf eel.

where are this wolf eels?

They're common in Puget Sound and other PNW environs ... and they're definitely NOT mean. They're big, and like most wild animals I suppose they can be unpredictable. But the ones I've interacted with have been more curious than anything. They'll come up and "nip" at your SPG or something else that might look tasty ... but I've never heard of one injuring a diver. And I've interacted with quite a lot of them.

It can be a little bit startling when they come swimming out of the dark at ya ... but they're really just big puppies ... OK ... big, ugly puppies ... :D

P1010018a.jpg

Oh ... and they're not eels at all ... they're the world's largest blenny ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Looks blenny good to eat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom