Beware Suunto computers D9 and Vytec.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe the problems with you getting support from Suunto has
something to do with the financial position? The owner Amer
is listed on Finnish stock exchange and is not doing well. Suunto is
also refocusing a lot on making heart-rate monitors which is a larger
business?

I just heard from my LDS about my Suunto Cobra that I purchased in late 2004. I purchased two at this time and the first one malfunctioned while under warranty and was replaced at no charge. The second one malfunctioned in April and was shipped back to the manufacturer. A month and 1/2 later they have just called them and told them it will cost me $389.00 to replace the computer module and I will receive no extended warranty because it is a replacement.

For that amount of money you'ld think they would at least give you some warranty. Personally, I would go with a SPG and buy a wrist mount computer.

have a stinger, bought in SE Asia, Malaysia, 1yr+8mnth old now with 82 logged dives with no issues, besides using it as adaily watch all the time even frequently flying with it.

I currently have a cobra, stinger and vyper. All three over three years old, appx 250 dives each... zero problems. My wife uses a cobra and a mosquito. About 1/2 the dives of mine, also zero problems. My Kids and their spouses use 2 cobras and 2 eons...... you guessed it .... zero problems.
Before I switched to Suunto, about 12 years ago, we used Oceanic computers... 1 hockey puck and one air integrated. In a 3 year period, Oceanic replaced 3 units for us at no charge. Great customer service, but computer failure during the dives got "old".
I can only speak to my experience and those I know & dive with.... Suunto has been great for us.

P.S. I will soon purchase a cobra2 & D4 to replace my current cobra and stinger, only because I prefer the way they handle nitrox & rbgm.

A guy I work with bought two Gekko's at Christmas and he took one of them diving in an Ohio quarry this pass week-end and the depth reading stated going bananas! Thank goodness he bought it from an authorized dealer as it should be covered by a warranty. I'll keep you informed how it works out for him.

Well after five weeks he finnally heard back from the LDS and they told him that Suunto had run a series of test on the Gekko and could find nothing wrong! Now I wasn't on the dive when the Gokko went "bananas" but another guy I know was and he confirmed that the computer was giving false info through out the dive. He even saaid that it was giving a depth reading of zero feet while they were doing their safty stop at 15 feet! It was supposed to have been mailed back to the LDS yesterday so as soon as he gets it we will take it out for another "test".

I had a D6 for just under a year, I purchased it in London and then used it in Thailand. I also dive with Uwatec Smart Tec (with AI). In the past year I have over 700 dives with both computers.

Last year I was diving at 7m (DSD) when I started to get a beeping from the D6, it was the depth alarm beeping at 60m, by the time I finished the dive the D6 said that I was at 150m and the water was 127 Celcius, after leaving the water the D6 carried on in Dive mode indefinitely. It was taken back to the distrbutor in Thailand, they contacted me to ask the age, where I purchased it and did I have proof - the answers were 1 year, London and no. They replaced the entire insides of the D6 for 600baht ( 20US$, less than the price of a new battery)

The Uwatec has been perfect, the transmitter is paired for life, none of that silly pairing every time you dive like Suuntos - it just always works, and has been far more reliable than the spg that I also carry (numerous o ring faults, and a cracked glass) - however when it needs a new battery it has to be sent to Hong Kong and takes 2-3 months!!!

Paul

I'm thinking of purchasing a new Suunto Cobra or Cobra-2 computer have only heard good recommendations so far. Anybody heard anything different?

Thxs

Other than what I have read throughout this post thread i have heard nothing negative from divers using any Suunto product. Pretty much and I say 90% of the divers Iknow and have met use Suunto computers. One negative thing I heard from a diver was that the screen protective covers scratch easily, and cost 25 to 30 bucks to replace. I am still on my first one and still have the second one that came with my computer. I am sure if you ask about any other type of computer you will hear all the pro's and con's. Go with what you like best and feel safe using. I use the Cobra 2 and Gekko. I love them both and don't regret my decision in purchasing them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom