Beyond Scuba: Bob Given Talk at CMA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

choclob05

Reaction score
Friends of Cabrillo Marine Aquarium Lecture
Beyond Scuba: The advancement of 40 years of scientific monitoring
Friday, January 20, 7:30 pm

Have you ever wandered how the information in your marine biology textbook is collected? Questioned who gathered the data you are reading? Dr. Bob Given, professor of Biology at Marymount College in Rancho Palos Verdes, is a scientist who has spent over fifty years working, collecting and identifying animals found in our local waters. Learn about the methods scientific divers use today and how techniques have improved over time. FEE: $5 Students, $7.50 members, $10 non-members. Light refreshments will be served. Call 310-548-8396 to reserve your tickets.View attachment 27069

Dr. Bob Given is an icon out here on Catalina. Bob conducted some of the (if not the) first underwater biological surveys of Catalina waters back in the mid-60's. His work on diving and human physiological response is pretty well known. I have a lot of respect for him and wish I could be there to hear him speak.

When I did my research diver training with the Catalina Conservancy Divers, it was Dr. Given who did the species ID lecture with a slide program at the Cabrillo Aquarium. I really enjoyed his presentation. After the story he told, I think of him everytime I see a white feather hyrdroid. Ouch!

Back
Top Bottom