Dr. Bob Given: Scientific Diving Pioneer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Such a nice epitaph your posts are about a friend. To be admired like that, he died a rich man in many ways. Sorry, Dr. Bill.

Hey, Trace... good to see you active here!

Hey, Trace... good to see you active here!

Hi, Bill! Thank you, it's good to see you here as well. I'm sorry about your friend. I'm hoping to come visit you, Jamie and Wendi shortly and bring my girlfriend, Jen, along. I'll have to catch you up off the board, but you'll interested to know that I enrolled in a master's program in the marine sciences. You added a little tech to your life, so I decided I'd add a little science. Something tells me I'll probably be coming across Dr. Givens' work in my studies.

I am the youngest, Pam. My family sent dad on his last dive last November off the coast of Newport Beach. Red roses for us and one single white one for his wife (our Mom) of 1 year shy of 50 years. Thank you again so very much for you kind words.

Hi Pam, I think I saw you on the float talking to Kevin yesterday as we brought a yellow dive boat in. I'll bet on your Dad's last dive he felt great not to have to wear a full kit!

Dr. Given was my former professor - he insisted that I called him Bob (after I graduated from Marymount and continued at San Diego State) but I told him I couldn't -because of Dr. Given- he was the reason why I wanted to be a scientist and always had words of encouragement for me when I wanted to give up - I was just talking about him today when I was asked why I chose Biology to be my major - I am so sad to hear of his passing because he was my mentor and he was always had time to meet with me when I was in LA. I will miss him so much. He was a great teacher! My prayers go to his family.

Back
Top Bottom