Bichet's syndrome and diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

otter-cat

Reaction score
Hello Doctors,

I have a friend who I would like to suggest take the OW diver course, but he has Bichete's syndrome (sorry for the misspelled name). I personally know almost nothing about the disease, and I am sure that he would go get a physical evaluation before he took the course, but if there are obvious reasons that diving would be contraindicated by this condition, I'd rather not suggest it and get him all fired up about taking the class, only to find out that he cannot dive because of his illness.

Also, if it is at least possible that, after being evaluated in person by his physician, that he could be cleared for diving, I was wondering if there are any specific recommendations for things that his doctor should check for in the evaluation, due to the illness and/or its treatment, above and beyond what might be looked at in a diving physical for someone who didn't have his disease.

I would NEVER want my friend to dive if he is not physically fit to do so, but if, with appropriate medical investigation by his doctor, he was able to dive, I'd love to see him take the class.

Any info you could pass on about Bichet's syndrome and diving would be very appreciated!

Thanks,
otter-cat

Would that be Behcet's syndrome? (There's supposed to be a squiggly thing underneath the "c" in "Behcet", but I don't know how to make it lol

Hi otter-cat,

I assume that you are speaking of Behcet's disease. Here is a good URL on the malady----> http://www.behcets.org

As you will see, this disease has many manifestations including sores of the mouth, eye, genitalia & skin, and can be harmful to the brain, GI tract & joints.

To my mind, it is the involvement of larger blood vessels of certain organs that poses the greatest concern as regards scuba.

Although it seems to favor smaller blood vessels, Behcet's can affect arteries & veins of just about all sizes across many sites, and the lungs & brain are often involved. A burst aneurysm of a larger vessel can be very, very serious. Such an occurrence underwater would be especially worrisome for obvious reasons.

Scuba subjects such organs as the lungs to pressure changes from several causes, and could stress weakened areas of blood vessel. Clearly not at all a good thing.

Although you make no mention of medication, do be aware that the signs & symptoms of this disease may be managed by a number of medications, some of which are quite potent & have implications for safe scuba.

Finally, it is possible that joint pain caused by Behcet's could be confused with DCS-related symptoms, or vice-versa.

Your friend will want to discuss the possibility of diving with his or her physician, and clearance to dive may involve undergoing a number of expensive procedures to rule out such abnormalities as aneurysm of lung & other organs. It would be advisable that the physician making the call be at least fundamentally knowledgeable in dive medicine.

It might also be useful to present the situation to DAN at----> http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom