Bicycle rental

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harro10

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can any one tell me if it is possible to rent a bicycle for several days in Cozumel and if there is a major theft problem and/or places to lock the bike in town? How do driving habits and road conditions in Cozumel effect bike riding?

Harro10:
Can any one tell me if it is possible to rent a bicycle for several days in Cozumel and if there is a major theft problem and/or places to lock the bike in town? How do driving habits and road conditions in Cozumel effect bike riding?
That kind of depends on what you're looking for I guess. If you're looking for a 30 year old clunker, I've see some hotels that rent them. If you're looking for a racing bike for some training, you are probably out of luck.

I've never had or seen any theft problem personally, but it's a poorer population and just as with anywhere else it would be prudent to lock up a bike when not in use.

As far as driving and road conditions, riding in town would be an "interesting challange" to say the least. Personally, I would have no problem with it but I'm used to riding a bike in traffic. You'd definatly be taking your life into your own hands (or rather putting into the hands of hundreds of crazy drivers).

Out of town it's great. Most of the SW part of the island has a separate bike/scooter path and the east side doesn't get enough traffic to be really dangerous. I'd love to get my tri-bike down and do the east side loop but carrying a bike and scuba gear is WAY more trouble than it would be worth.

James

Harro10:

I have ridden a bike in Cozumel before (2 years ago, my last visit there). If you are used to having traffic around, ridding there should not be a problem. Do lock it though. The state of the roads is aceptable inside town and to the south, but if you try to go to visit the ruins inside the island, you are going to be riding through a hole field: better for the bike than for a car...

I got my bike from the hotel where I stayed, and it was well maintained BUT it did not have breaks (you had to break by holding the pedal with your foot) and we had no lights. I saw some new bikes around... they might have been rented.

-- Itziar

Thanks,
I am not overly demanding but I do consider brakes a must have. Maybe I will put my bike riding exercise on hold while I am in Cozumel. It has been about 25 years since I rode in really heavy traffic (Manhatten.) I will keep my eyes open for a decent bike rental place while I am there.

Oh... traffic there is nothing like Manhattan, certainly nothing like any other city I have ever visited. I actually find the drivers in Cozumel quite laid back, but better watch out before you turn, in any case. Breaks, yes, I understand your concern: it was quite a shocker, and difficult to control a stable position!

Be Careful....Living here, has taught me 1. Do not ride a bike in town. 2. Careful when out of town. 500 taxi cabs wanting to make quick fares, in a town 4 mi sq. Moped accidents are daily...Many serious...Potholes everywhere...I would really be careful when on two wheels here....

If you end up renting a bike [there are many places in town that rent] please be aware there are regularly enforced laws here pertaining to bike lights at night. If you ride after dark, you must have a red light in the rear and headlight in front. Since these are not readily available items down here AND none of the rental bikes come equipped with them ~ you should plan to bring your own. I have a portable set with quick mount head light and belt clip flasher that come in handy. If you ride after dark without these, police can/will fine you and confiscate your bike.

As is typical here enforcement is sporadic...mostly not enforced back past Ave 30 but don't plan on riding down beachfront street or in town without lights after dark ~ you will get stopped!
Have fun and be careful!!

Back
Top Bottom