Bifocal mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regardless of compooters, I still love my Sea-Vision masks. I have one with the magenta lenses and one with clear lenses.

The skirt fits beautifully. My wife, who has a rather narrow face, dives the Sea-Vision mask and loves it, also.

the K

Thank you for the offers to send or bring stuff. Before I start thinking about that I'm going to ask the shop what they can order from here. It could be that they can get it if I ask for it, but they just don't stock stuff like this.

If they make perscription lenses for the Mares liquidskin or the other one that's similar then they should be able to order them.

I actually started this thread more to get an idea what I should be looking for than anything else.

If I can't get it ordered then I may take someone up on the offer. As it is I find the thought very encouraging and sincerely helpful.

R..

Acuvue Oasys for Presbyopia (that's loss of close vision; not a religion). They are progressive, rather than bifocal. I think the maximum magnification is +2.50.

Acuvue Oasys for Presbyopia (that's loss of close vision; not a religion). They are progressive, rather than bifocal. I think the maximum magnification is +2.50.

Yes, yes, no, yes.

:cool2:

Yes, yes, no, yes.

:cool2:

some people have no idea this can be bunsweating time for most involved in the situation:

Beaudoin & Wade LLC inside EyeMART Express, Appleton, WI

cna_ulcer.jpg

Rob, if you want my advice, take the mask to an optometrist and have them mark it for where you want your lenses, and then send it somewhere to have them put in. My first mask, the bifocal lenses occupied way too much of the glass, and I found myself having to peer over them to see where I was going. The second time, I had them make the inserts much smaller; I can read my gauges with them just fine, but I can also see around me. The only downside is that, if I want to inspect something really tiny underwater, I have to swim up to it and crane my neck back so I can look through the bifocals!

I'm in the same situation and would like to try the stick-on lenses. But boy, $30 to try out lenses that some say either start to fog after a few dives or simply wash out of the mask ... I don't know ... ??

Henrik

I bought some off ebay for a fraction of the price.

Rob, if you want my advice, take the mask to an optometrist and have them mark it for where you want your lenses, and then send it somewhere to have them put in. My first mask, the bifocal lenses occupied way too much of the glass, and I found myself having to peer over them to see where I was going. The second time, I had them make the inserts much smaller; I can read my gauges with them just fine, but I can also see around me. The only downside is that, if I want to inspect something really tiny underwater, I have to swim up to it and crane my neck back so I can look through the bifocals!

This gives me an image of you wearing your mask on the tip of your nose... LOL

I ordered a new Liquid skin mask with the lenses I need. I guess I'll see how it is when it gets here. I'm hoping it won't take too long.

R..

OK, I'm really confused about something.

I've been extremely nearsighted all my life; significant astigmatism (common in myopic folks, I understand); and now have some pretty strong reading correction.

Entire glasses Rx is now:
OD -9.75 sph, -1.75 cyl, +2.25 add
OS -10.00 sph, -2.75 cyl, +2.25 add

Yet I've always seen perfectly underwater, to include gauges, with just spherical -9.5 corrective mask lenses.

I haven't been diving in a couple years (long story, about to be remedied this summer). But I just tested my mask out in, um, the hot tub on the deck :D, and I can still see my computer perfectly underwater at a normal bent-arm distance (about a foot and a half)... a distance where I couldn't even begin to read anything in air without reading correction.

I'm not complaining, but why don't I need reading correction underwater???

I'm not complaining, but why don't I need reading correction underwater???

I'm thinking it has to do with "optical principle planes" and the various indices of refraction of air vs water.

This is a question for Jon the mask guy. Check the thread in my signature and you'll see that he's posted several times on it, and he did comment about the need for a slightly different dioptric correction in dive masks. Perhaps you can pm him and ask him about it directly.

I don't know all that much about Rx dive masks, they really don't cover it in optometry school and most divers send their masks (or order them) directly to the manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom