Big Bay Point gets two new wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roastbeef

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi

Has any one dove Big Bay point lately its been a while since I dove there 6 weeks to be exact, but I see there are now two new wrecks at 40 feet just right of the line. I'm guessing they were placed there to alleviate the total boredom most divers experience when diving this site.

Roast Beef

I saw these last week. It was my first time diving there though. I hear there is another boat further off the line too but haven't seen it yet.

The new wrecks are around 25-30 feet each. Get down and see them before the Zebra Mussels cover them up!

That's right those zebra muscles can be over whelming at time and I did noticed this year the water in lake Simcoe has not been very clear with a decline in zebra muscle population and when talking to locals at the dock they told me there was allot large fish dieing off in the spring because of some type of natural or man made bacteria strain in the water. Instructors who frequent Big bay will at least have something to offer there students to see other than MURKY WATER, TANGLED LINES and LOGS .

RoastBeef

That's the place, when driving turn left just past the golf course off of Big Bay Point Road. You usually enter right off of the old government dock. There is a line that runs out and then splits off at a couple of different depths. Last time I was there, the deepest line ran down to 90 feet, there was a line running off to the right to the new stuff (I think it branches at about 30 feet, but I don't have my log book handy, and it is fairly new). I believe these have actually been here for a while, but not marked. There is a line that goes off th the left at around 40 feet. I know it used to have a branch that comes back the main line somewhat deeper (80 feet, maybe) but I don't know if it is still intact

Thanks for the information. Maybe I will have to give this one a try sooner rather than later. I assume the line that runs deeper runs to a wreck? What sort of condition are these wrecks in (all depths)? Are they similar to the Morrison or better?

That's the place, when driving turn left just past the golf course off of Big Bay Point Road. You usually enter right off of the old government dock. There is a line that runs out and then splits off at a couple of different depths. Last time I was there, the deepest line ran down to 90 feet, there was a line running off to the right to the new stuff (I think it branches at about 30 feet, but I don't have my log book handy, and it is fairly new). I believe these have actually been here for a while, but not marked. There is a line that goes off th the left at around 40 feet. I know it used to have a branch that comes back the main line somewhat deeper (80 feet, maybe) but I don't know if it is still intact

No such luck, the line just ends... From what I hear, there is a wreck off in the deep, but I've never seen it, I believe you have to go into deco time to reach it from shore, and there are no lines. The ones you can reach are recent boats, nothing very large. Mostly it's a training site, anything you see is to help keep from getting bored :).
I tend to prefer to dive there on weekdays, as the evinrude haircut is a major risk on weekends. There is a fairly long stretch where you need to swim out in less than 10 feet of depth, and the boaters have absolutely no clue about dive flags. I've had them grab mine, which is somewhat disconcerting. I believe there is some agitation in the area to ban diving from the dock, as it annoys the boaters. Hopefully nothing comes of that...

The two new wrecks were just sunk there not even one month ago around Aug 5 as I was there twice in one week the first time the two wrecks were not there the second dive I ran into them they are at about 38 feet just off to the right of the line. There is another small fishing boat at about 30 feet but several hundred yards away to the right as well that's been there for about three years its line has all the dolls and clay ornaments attached to it.

Perhaps we will have to try this area. In the end it is no farther than Wiarton for me so what the heck. What kind of visibility do you get there? And one can only assume that come October the boat traffic dies down (even though we would tow a flag).

Back
Top Bottom