Big Bugs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
This is a shot of a 5+ lb lobster claw. The Dungeness crabs it is sitting on give some idea of the scale. I've never seen anything close to the size of this claw. How common are bugs this size? It must have been somewhere near #25.

ATT00260.jpg

In the Seafood case at the local market. The butcher said it was an Alaskan lobster, but google came up empty for that species. I believe it is a Canadian Lobster.

In the Seafood case at the local market. The butcher said it was an Alaskan lobster, but google came up empty for that species. I believe it is a Canadian Lobster.

Chernobyl??

lol Yeah, that's what I thought when I saw it. Wish I had a better picture of it, but I didn't have my cell phone with me. I begged a woman I saw with a cell to take the pic and send it to me. Nice lady, crappy cell phone camera.

You should see the pic that came up when I googled Chernobyl...Chick has 3 butt cheeks

Biggest bug I've personally seen was a 17 lb lobster ... caught somewhere off of Cape Ann in 1978 (when I lived there) ... I gathered by the stir it created locally that it wasn't very common at all ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My first instructor took a 17lb spiny off of San Clemente in 80'. That was huge, but nowhere near the size of the beast in the case. With its single claw weighing in at over 5 lbs, it must have been well over 20 lbs.

The largest Canadian Lobster on record was 44 lbs, as I recall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom