Big Corn and Little Corn Island Info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everyone, this is one special place! But make sure and dont tell everyone as we do not want it spoiled. I am having to catch up on things here at home, but I will leave a detailed report in the next few days. Teaser: When I arrived by the Pongo aka The boat from Big Corn Island, I was not greeted by everyone and their dog offering to liberate me from my money for some little trinket. So if that is what you are looking for don't come here.

Cordlargo, Looking forward to your report, I am going to for a quick trip in June, can't wait to get wet!!

i lived on little corn island for a year, diving is good for beginner divers, shallow, every dive site except 2 have all the same thing, boring,!!! the dive shop owners from england were premindomas would let certified divers go on a night dive, unless they where advandanced certified.. But it's cheap and you get what you pay for as far as I see it

I'd just like to point out to the last contributor that there are two dive shops on Little Corn, and as manager of Dolphin Dive (dolphindivelittlecorn(dot)com) we are happy to take fun divers on night dives even if they don't have their Advanced Open Water. We would ask though that they have dived recently and done a day dive either with us or in the last week or so.
We've had some great diving here recently, over 10 nurse sharks on one dive and multiple reef sharks on another dive plus the usual array of reef fish, rays and occasional turtle.... if in doubt, please check us out......

Everyone, this is one special place! But make sure and dont tell everyone as we do not want it spoiled. I am having to catch up on things here at home, but I will leave a detailed report in the next few days. Teaser: When I arrived by the Pongo aka The boat from Big Corn Island, I was not greeted by everyone and their dog offering to liberate me from my money for some little trinket. So if that is what you are looking for don't come here.

Hi,

Very curious to your report! Already found some time to post it? :wink:

Thanks!!

Roy

I've been somewhat hesitant to post information regarding diving on Little Corn Island, but since I doubt most people will be willing to make the journey and for the betterment of all the businesses on the island here goes:

For the best information regarding the Corn Islands I recommend the following websites:

The Corn Islands - Hotels - Fishing - Diving - this site has comprehensive information regarding both Big and Little Corn Islands including maps of both.

Dolphin Dive - Little Corn Island, Nicaragua. Diving in the Corn Islands at it's best - my personal favorite dive operator on LCI

Dive Little Corn Nicaragua-Gold Palm PADI Dive Shop in the Corn Islands - the competing dive operator on LCI

The New Caribbean - Nicaragua - The Corn Islands | Scuba Diving Magazine - An excellent professional trip report on the Corn Islands

The above websites contain most of the information you need to plan a trip to the Corn Islands including how to get there, details on island life, prices for diving, when the wet/dry season is, etc.

Trip Report March 2010 & June 2010

My wife and I have made the trip to LCI twice, once during the dry season and once during the wet season. The wet season trip did suffer from the daily shower, but it was usually brief and didn't impact the diving in any way. Both trips were fantastic, not the least of which was due to our dive operator, Dolphin Dive. LCI is a remote unspoiled diving paradise and the dive sites reflect this. The reefs are healthy and boast high biodiversity. You'll find many corals such as Elkhorn and Staghorn, that have been wiped out by bleaching or disease in most other parts of the world, growing strong. There are a high number of fish and marine creature species located all around the island. We saw everything from Blue Chromis and Drumfish to Great Hammerheads and Eagle Rays. Visibility on both trips never went below 40ft with 70ft being the norm, although on some days the viz did stretch out to 100ft. The water temperature was steady at the mid to low 80's on both trips. Nothing more than a 3mm shorty wetsuit is needed unless you're especially prone to getting cold (on several dives I didn't even bother wearing a rash guard). Don't know what sites some of the previous posters went to, but there's a good cross-section of dive sites not just "shallow" ones. Some of the dive sites only have a depth of 25-40ft such as White Holes and Casa, others such as Jeff's Rock & Tarpon Channel are 75-80ft. In fact, during our Deep Diver Specialty Course we went to one site that had a depth of over 100ft. Larger marine animal species we encountered include Great Hammerheads at Tarpon Channel, numerous Eagle Rays, several Nurse Sharks, Sea Turtles, and Stingrays. Smaller marine animal species seen include Giant Hermit Crabs, several species of Parrotfish, Porcupinefish, Drumfish, Toadfish (they'll drive you mad until you find them), Yellowline Arrow Crabs, Channel Clinging Crabs, Coral Banded Crabs, several different Angelfish, several different Triggerfish, and African Pomponos. Also, expect to see a lot of Caribbean Spiny and Spotted Lobster above and below the water as the island economy depends on them. Lobster can be purchased on the island for a fraction of the price in the US, usually less than $10USD will get you a two tail dinner with sides. Dolphins have been spotted at a few sites and it isn't uncommon to hear them while diving. The Night Diving is not to be missed either as the bioluminesence is usually unbelievable. There usually isn't any current at any of the dive sites and most of the dive sites are just a 5-10 min. boat ride with the exception of Blowing Rock. Blowing Rock being the king of LCI Dive Sites...a pinnacle dive that's worth the 30-45 min. boat ride it takes to get there. At least with Dolphin Dive, the Blowing Rock trip is usually conducted on a Saturday and is done as a two-tank dive with the surface interval done on the boat. The site is astounding, we were only able to go once, but in two dives we saw several Blacktip Reef Sharks, Eagle Rays, massive Barracuda, huge Lobsters, and the usual host of fish and coral life.

Dolphin Dive is an excellent shop with a great set of instructors and divemasters. Everyone from the head instructor Adam down to the Divemaster Candidates are amazing. While there we took four specialty courses (PPB, Night, Deep, and Nav) and the Rescue Course, and all of the coursework was led by an outstanding instructor who made sure we learned the subject and had fun doing it. All of our "fun" dives were led by very knowledgeable divemasters who took their time and made sure we saw not only the larger fish but also the macro as well. This is emphatically not a Cozumel cattle-boat dive op. Additionally, the shop has a full line of well maintained equipment featuring Sherwood Brut Regs. The prices for diving are beyond cheap as well, 1 tank dives for $35, 2 tank dives for $65 (I even think equipment is included). You'll be hard pressed to find cheaper diving anywhere. Additionally, the dive shop is partnered with the hotel it's attached to, Hotel Los Delfines, which is cheap and one of the only air-conditioned hotels on the island. You'll likely receive a discount on your room rate if you choose to dive with Dolphin Dive.

It should be noted that none of the Corn Island dive ops are equipped with Nitrox and there are no wrecks on LCI.

I really couldn't recommend LCI and Dolphin Dive more.

there are good things about little corn , but the things that they leave out are very important, that there are no police, rapes on vistors is at a all time high, drugs are everywhere.the truth is the truth speakandlive it

there are good things about little corn , but the things that they leave out are very important, that there are no police, rapes on vistors is at a all time high, drugs are everywhere.the truth is the truth speakandlive it
I don't know when you lived on LCI, but since 9/3/05 there has been a permanent police delegation on the island. My wife and I observed the police officers with our own eyes and further proof can be found here:

Fall Specials!

I neither witnessed nor heard of any sexual assaults occurring on the island on either of our trips. I had heard of sexual assaults happening on the island prior to our arrival, but later learned that these assaults happened several years ago and none have been reported recently. Regardless, women should exercise the same caution they would in any city in the US. Do not walk alone at night in dark places on the island. I'd like to know where you obtained the information to make the statement that "Rapes on vistors is at an all time high"?

Regarding the "drugs are everywhere" comment, I never witnessed anyone grow, consume, or distribute any illegal substances while I was there. I do understand that the islands are a stopping point for drug smugglers coming from Colombia, but haven't heard or seen any. The drug couriers wouldn't exactly make their presence known anyway, and simply use the island as a refueling point. In light of this, the Nicaraguan Navy and US Coast Guard have combined efforts to increase patrols in the surrounding waters. I've heard that the backpackers like to smoke marijuana, but they certainly don't do this in any public areas.

The only crime I heard of was an attempted robbery that was thwarted by a hotel security guard (there are several around the island and they especially patrol at night). The locals stated that this is the most serious crime that rarely occurs on the island. The offender was apprehended either that same night or the following day. I personally witnessed the police transport him in handcuffs off the island the next day (he was actually on the same ferry ride we were).

Attached is a photograph from the LCI dock of one of the Nicaraguan Police Officers stationed on the island.

Attachments

• 2010-03-13 13.49.54.jpg
    2010-03-13 13.49.54.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 277
My son and I just got back from Little Corn last night. I have to agree with all the points made by Paco Rocco6. During our stay on the island we had a great time, and met really nice people. A melting pot from all corners and continents. We enjoyed diving with Dolphin Dive, Adam, and the whole crew. Why can't all dive ops have folks like Kevin and Stephanie as DM's, both did an outstanding job! During our time in LCI we stayed at the Dolphin Dive sister hotel, Los Delfines. The rooms have AC, a TV, is quiet and filled the bill.

Referring to the earlier post regarding drugs, rape, and crime on LCI made by rottiesrule, sorry, from my experience, the comments are a complete mis-representation of the island, and it's people. Never felt unsafe, never smelled anything, nothing stolen. Did not hear anything regarding this theme from other guests either.

I'll re-post a more complete trip report this weekend regarding the diving when I have time, but as stated earlier, Paco Rocco6 did a good job in this area already!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom