Big guy needs some help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OffShoreMedic:
Hello everyone, I'm a frequent lurker but a first time poster here. I have a quick question about BC sizing. I'm a big guy, 6' tall and about 345-350. I am a former powerlifter so I have big legs but am also thick around the midsection. I wear a size 52 pants. Right now I'm having a hard time finding a BC that will fit around my midsection and chest. Does any manufacturer make a larger BC or does anyone custom make them? Thanks for all of your input in advance.

A BP&W is a modular BC. It consists of a BackPlate, Inflatable "Wing" and Harness. The harness is essentially nothing more than a lenght of 2" weight belt webbing. That allows the harness to be configured to fit a WIDE range people ( or even a range of wide people :wink: )

In the interest of full disclosure, I make and sell BP&W. To see some of your options you can click on the link in my signature.

Let me know if you have questions.

Tobin

Direct Diver:
Have you tried Zeagle yet they are about the best fitting BCD in the markey,here is a little something from their web site:Torso length (shoulder to waist dimension) can vary a great deal, even for individuals of the same height. If you are either very short or long waisted in relation to your height or waist size, conventional "generic" sizing may not give you a good fit. Zeagle's interchangeable components allow your dealer to fit waist size, torso length, and chest size independently, giving you a personally sized system.
I hope this will help in what you are looking for,and have a nice Holiday.

Good recomendation but I who am 6'4 240 have my Zeagle tech close to being maxed out as far as adjustments (ontop of drysuit) so dont think will work for OP , Can probably go custombut for the extra money that would cost I think BP/W would be a cheaper and more stable route to take.

only my .02$

Awesome thanks guys, I'm looking at the Zeagle website now. I really believe I'm finally on the right track.

Greetings from a fellow lurcker and fellow paramedic.

I also am a big guy (6' tall and pushing 290# when I bought my current BC ) and went through a similar search a couple of years ago. I ended up with an IDI Advantage that I've really liked it. It was large enough for me with a little room to spare (my waist was around 46" at the time). It is weight integrated and has worked very well for me but I'm not sure how available they are anymore.

Since then I've lost 50# and I am in the process of making the move to a BP/W (probably a DSS) for a lot of reasons including better flexibility for us big guys.

Allen

Definitely take a look at a BP/W before you make a decision. They can be adjusted to fit almost anyone. If you find a nice BC that is great too...just find something that is comfy.

Tobin's DSS plates are pretty cool if you wanna take a look at BP/W. They make large plates.

-Francis

Direct Diver:
Have you tried Zeagle yet they are about the best fitting BCD in the markey,here is a little something from their web site:Torso length (shoulder to waist dimension) can vary a great deal, even for individuals of the same height. If you are either very short or long waisted in relation to your height or waist size, conventional "generic" sizing may not give you a good fit. Zeagle's interchangeable components allow your dealer to fit waist size, torso length, and chest size independently, giving you a personally sized system.
I hope this will help in what you are looking for,and have a nice Holiday.
I would try Zeagle.Im also large,275 but 6'4" and when purchasing bc hade fit problems and quite a few people told me to try Zeagle.I ended up in a sherwood but if you powerlift your build is definatley different than mine.

Another solid BC thats fully adjustable is:

http://seasoftscuba.com/products.php?productid=SSPBC

One of our bigger guys at the shop uses this and fell in love with it. Im looking to bring them in for rental BCs for a one size fits all BC....They really are excellent quality....can even add doubles :wink:

Mike

Any Dive Rite dealer can get you fit with a Transpac that will fit you....just pick the aircell lift capacity you want to go with it (30-40 lbs. is plenty for any single tank), they can take measurements, send them to Dive Rite, and you can get a custom BC harness for basic retail priceing. PLUS, if you lose (or gain) weight, you can simply change out the components that no longer fit (shoulder harness, waist strap/cumberbund, soft backplate, weight pockets, etc. are all modular), so you'll not have to buy a complete ne BC.
Dive Rite also has backplates (aluminum, 3 lbs. , or stainless steel, 6 lbs.) and four different harness styles (Transplate, deluxe, quick release, and basic). Again, just add an aircell (and a stainless steel single tank adaptor, if you want really solid stability for the tank you are using), and you'll be set!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom