Big Island - Checkout dives for a kid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey all -
Going to be on the Big Island for the first time in over 10 years at the end of the month, and we couldn't be more excited. In the past I have dove with Kona Honu, Big Island Divers, Jack's Diving Locker and others. I haven't ever had a bad experience with Kona dive operators.

My search this time is specifically for an operator who can do a stellar job conducting my 11 year old son's OW certification dives. I have never done any training in Kona myself, so I have no experience in this area, and particularly don't know if any would be better for kids. He will have all training completed and will have a referral from our LDS.

I'd especially like to find a small operator who can give him patient, encouraging support and attention, potentially at the same time I join to do some fun dives and my wife and son tag along to snorkel. It's also important that it be an operator that does not molest the wildlife (something I have encountered in Hawai'i in the past unfortunately). My son would be very upset if anyone grabbed an octopus or broke coral to get to a critter. He's very respectful of nature and wildlife.

Thanks in advance for any ideas! Cheers -
Gregg

I'd go with one of the shops you've had good personal experience with than a recommendation from a stranger on Scubaboard. Having said that, Pacific Rim is a small operator I've dove with in the past and they are good.

Reactions: tep
Maybe Kona Diving Company? They have a smaller powered cat so it's a more stable dive platform - and are good people - recommended here regularly. My buddy dove with them and his teenage daughter and friend snorkeled.

KDC

Back
Top Bottom