Big Island, Dive Makai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

George Scherman

Contributor
Reaction score
I dove last year off the Kona coast and am returning this November. I just looked up Dive Makai's website and they look like a good operator. Any one with experirence out there? Also would like any reccommendations on must see sites. We did 2 step and 4 mile from shore and boat dove Eel garden, suck em up, Golden Arches and the night Manta site last year. What about the Hilo side? Is it worth the drive and fighting the surface chop?

I've dived with Dive Makai and enjoyed the experience - they were very knowledgeable and very helpful people. I've heard that they don't go out as much as they used to and a local instructor told me that the company is looking for a buyer. If I had the money I'd be tempted...

Peter Forster

I did a dive trip with Dive Makai on Jan 21st - thought it was probably the best operation I've ever been with. The morning briefing was by far the longest and most informative briefing I've ever experienced. And the dive leaders really take their time and try to point out the best parts of the sites. We dove Eel Cove and Turtle Towers, both great sites.

The business is for sale, but from talking to Tom, one of the owners, I understand that they are just retiring, and looking for someone to take over the business. They are still running full force, and plan to stay with the business until a new owner buys it and transitions in.

Send Tom an email (www.divemakai.com) - I'm sure he'll explain everything to you.

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom