Big Island & Kauai ... last two weeks of May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MC Hamster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Good morning,

I am looking for buddies for shore dives on the Big Island around Kona (May 15 -> May 20) and Kauai around Kapaa (May 22 -> May 27).

While at Kona, I know I want to do a Manta Ray Dive and boat dives, but I would also like to do a few shore dives.

While at Kapaa, my mom (who has been diving for over 30 years) will be joining us. We will also be doing a few boat dives and would be open to company for shore dives.

I'll be taking an UW camera for the first time and have all my own gear.

Hit me up if you're interested.

Cheers!

- Jm

I am moving there on the 7th and would be up to joining you if you dont mind going with a newbie

I don't mind, alas our schedules don't line up. Where are you moving from?

- Jm

I just got back from the Big Island, where I did the manta dive for the third time. Let me give you some useful thoughts. First, for a dive like the manta dive, go with the operator with the biggest boat. It is much easier to break down your gear and put it away on a big boat than a small one. Also, the big boats have a lot more light and that attracts mantas even after the "show" is over. I always go with Kona Honuy. Second, even though the lights are bright, you will need a detached strobe to get decent shots. Third, don't bother going overweighted. You won't be able to carry enough weight to stay in one spot on the bottom, especially with the currents that the mantas make as they go by. Instead, get situated on a rock on the bottom and grab onto it with your legs.

Are you talking about Kapaa in North Kohala or on Kauai. (never mind, just re-read the post)

Last edited:
I don't mind, alas our schedules don't line up. Where are you moving from?

- Jm

moving from Jackson WY to Koloa HI the wife is over the & months of snow and is ready for sunshine and sand

The trouble with not going overweighted on the manta dive is that you can't always get yourself situated with a rock to grab between your legs. There are a handful of rocks out there that are fair game for that, others are far enough away from the circle that the dive operators actually discourage their use... trying to save the growth in the immediate area whenever possible. I'd do what your dive operator recommends. Underweighted divers occasionally are a problem on that dive, especially when the surf's up.

One comment on needed the biggest available boat so you have room to break down your gear... several operators I'm familiar with will break down your gear, wash it, and hand it to you after the dive, might take a little longer, but it eliminates the need for people moving around on a moving boat. To each their own.

I went with Kona Honu Divers because they were the only ones with a one tank dive. They set up and broke down all the gear. With the shore dives in Kona, if you go with Jacks, they offer unlimited fills with their tank rentals. If you keep your dives close, you can get in several dives in one day. I don't have any preferences for the dives in the kona area. I would look into Mahukona up north. You would want to rent a few tanks if you are going up there though. There are several good dive books about the big island. I can put some titles up if you want. I am on the hilo side. If you want to do a dive over here, I might be available. You might want to think about renting from a shop on the other side if you are planning to come to hilo. You also want to watch your no fly time if you are planning on going to Volcano or crossing the island. Any way you go takes you over 1000 ft.

havn't figured out the details but i couls use a buddy myself.

I went with Kona Honu Divers because they were the only ones with a one tank dive. They set up and broke down all the gear. With the shore dives in Kona, if you go with Jacks, they offer unlimited fills with their tank rentals. If you keep your dives close, you can get in several dives in one day. I don't have any preferences for the dives in the kona area. I would look into Mahukona up north. You would want to rent a few tanks if you are going up there though. There are several good dive books about the big island. I can put some titles up if you want. I am on the hilo side. If you want to do a dive over here, I might be available. You might want to think about renting from a shop on the other side if you are planning to come to hilo. You also want to watch your no fly time if you are planning on going to Volcano or crossing the island. Any way you go takes you over 1000 ft.
I worked with Big Island Divers for a BC repair (my mom's sprung a leak) and Torpedo Tours for the boat dives.

Good info on Jacks. I'll check them out.

The resources you pointed out are in line with the resources I've found using Google. What's next is to find someone to do shore dives with.

Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? Bueller?

- Jm ( Let the OONTZ begin! )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom