Big Island/Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stokoe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are planing an early April trip to these two islands. We are saying with friends in the Kailua-Kona area for a few days, then hopping to Maui for a few days, as our return flight leaves from there. My wife doesn't dive, it will be only me diving. Some years ago, I dove Kona with an operator that was recommended here, but I can't remember their name, possibly Jack's? Seemed like it was a guy's name. Anyway, it was a good outfit. On Maui, I will be selecting a place to stay based on diving opportunity, not the other way around. Two days worth of diving possible in each location. Lahaina has access to Lanai, Wailea access to Molokini crater. Not sure which would be the better choice. So the advice I seek is:

1. A good dive operator in Kona area
2. On Maui, is Lahaina or Wailea the better bet for a couple of days worth of diving?
3. And good dive operators there.

Thanks!

Jack's is good. Consider their advanced boat, gets you into some nice sites. But even with the big boats they will divide it into groups based on experience.

Jack's is still there - on Alii Dr. in south Kona. The boats all leave from Honokohau harbor north of the airport. Most of the operators keep their boats there - usually you check in at their shop/office in town then meet at the boat for diving.

We like Kona Diving Company. Nice People, smaller outfit. Big Island Divers also does their: Long Range Charter | Big Island Divers Monday and Thursday.

All the south Maui boats leave from the KIhei Boat Ramp - Wailea being just a couple miles farther south if that's a factor in your resort selection. I don't have a particular preference among Ed Robinson's, Mike Severns Diving or B&B Scuba - all well liked/regarded here. There's also other good operations in the area - just 3 I have some personal knowledge/exp. with. Robinson's offers some "Adventure" trips also - 2-3 tank trips certain days of the week.

In Lahaina I think you've only got three choices now - a couple of the other dive shops in the area book on local boats.

Lahaina Divers has the 45' Newton diveboats, they send one to Molokini Crater every other day so it's possible to dive Lana'i one day and Molokini the next. Besides the regular dive sites - often one of the Cathedrals - they also do their West Maui Drift dives - considered more advanced. I dove that once - it's a ride..

They also go out to Molokai once a week to dive with Hammerheads but IIRC there's a season for that - IDK when.so check with them. Lahaina has 2 big boats and often fill them. But they segregate by level and provide a DM for each group of 8. I have been out to Sharkfin once on their boat with 6 others but it was a fluke - a big group canceled earlier in the week.

Extended Horizons has one smaller boat - only to Lana'i. Don't know much about them. Lastly there's Hawaiian Rafting Adventures with a big fixed hull Zodiac. It's fast but when we saw them at the Cathedrals once they were getting tossed around pretty good on the mooring.

There's also guided shore diving on Maui/. Some of those options are Shaka Divers or Maui Dreams Dive Co. in the Kihei area, In/near Lahaina there's Scuba Mike, Tiny Bubbles and one I forget. Plus I don't know all those operators either.

You're smart to stay near where you plan to dive. I really like Kapalua north of Lahaina but it's not cheap. You can access everything in Kahana nearby - including a Maui Dive Shop for shore tank rentals, the Ka'anpali resort area then down into Lahaina with all it's shops etc. Ka'anapali is the area with the big high-rise condo complexes - not my style. There's even traffic congestion in the area at times.

I've never stayed in Kihei but the north side seems to be a lot less commercial. There's a boatload of condos around town and south so you can find some good deals across the main street from the beach. (Kamaole 1 & 2) They're dives but there's people on the beach/in the water usually.

We like Wailea also - there's some big resorts there but you'd never know it due to their being situated on the various beaches/bays. And lots of low-rise condos between them. Most of the better shore dives are in Wailea - not Kihei.

Last edited:
Another vote for Kona Diving Company when you're on the Big Island. I did 5 charters (10 dives) with them in April and they were awesome. I highly recommend the Manta Ray Night Dive. We had 23 mantas swarming over our heads for that one. Spectacular!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom