Big Island Operator - Can't Remember name

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I forgot to mention that I dove a bunch last year in the area around Kona proper. All the usual sites offered by the boat operators out of the harbor. While I did enjoy them, I wanted to experience something different this year. hence the reason I was looking at the long range dives and especially down south. I hear there are more nudibranchs and turtles and such down there.

If you have suggestions or are familiar with these sites I'm always open to alternatives.

Hookena is a great dive, calm and safe, with high chances to see spinner dolphins. Non-divers can enjoy the sandy beach or hiking along the trail that goes north along the sea. Come early, park to the right near the shower, and enter just left of the broken pier. If there are no dolphins, go right to explore the shallow wall, then bubble the N2 away in the shallows to the right. If there are dolphins in the bay, go straight and stay at 30-40 ft above the sand; the dolphins will come up to check you out. Meanwhile, explore the small coral heads a bit to the left.

Definitely looks like a good option. I'll cross my fingers for good weather in December.

Sorry to bring the bad news but they closed Hookena for fear of Denge fever. I was there just in time to spot a whale shark and even managed to sneak in and dive there couple of times after the closure, but finally they kicked me out officially. Who could imagine a Park Ranger in Hookena at 7 am?! :)

However, if you are interested in nudibranches, try Milolii "The Rock". I did about 5 dives there in November and I saw fried-eggs and Pustulosa nudis almost every dive.

Last edited:
Sorry to bring the bad news but they closed Hookena for fear of Denge fever. I was there just in time to spot a whale shark and even managed to sneak in and dive there couple of times after the closure, but finally they kicked me out officially. Who could imagine a Park Ranger in Hookena at 7 am?! :)

However, if you are interested in nudibranches, try Milolii "The Rock". I did about 5 dives there in November and I saw fried-eggs and Pustulosa nudis almost every dive.

Thanks for the update. We've been watching the dengue updates and not overly concerned but general precautions will be observed. Bummer about the closure

thanks also for beta on nudis. I'm definitely on the hunt this year as I put together a new camera rig that I'm really excited to use.

The "Amphitheater" could be peeble beach in the Kona Paradise housing area. Its a 45 minute drive south of Kona and would be about the same for a boat ride I think.
We stayed in a house up the hill from the beach and dove that spot every morning. Its a nice dive, coral is 20' to 60' deep, lots of fish, eels, lobster, titans trumphet. It has an area on the map called the "amphitheater", we picked up shore diving maps from big island divers btw. If I remember right the amphitheater was at 65' and went to 75'.
One of the local guys we met said the Kona Aggressor anchors there over the ampitheater when they come in for the day.
Great secluded sandy beach, well hidden with shade, to the north of peeble beach for your wife and son.
You could save some coin, and a long boat ride and dive it from shore. Puako is nice as well, lots of swim throughs.

Back
Top Bottom