Big Island Shore Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to live in Kailua-Kona some years back. After getting a Rescue cert from Jack's, my dive buddy and I did a shore dive not far out of the village along Ali'i Drive, but for the life of me I can't remember the location. Entry was at a tricky break in the iron shore lava. The dive site we were looking for was a neat shark cave. We caught a current that pulled us back towards the village and it was a real struggle getting to shore. Most interesting thing about the dive was our first experience with a whale's song....incredible. We missed the usual entry / exit spot by some yards and got tossed around on the shore lava. Puako is pretty cool as it has 3 steps in the reef as I recall. Never dove Hapuna. The harbor dive is cool for garden eels. A word of advice, pick your sites wisely and avoid the lava....; > )

Are there any sites that may offer an increased chance of seeing sharks? Reef sharks, white tips, hamme heads, etc... I've read the threads about the tiger spot.

Also, can the knowledgeable please add a few names of sites to avoid in general due to dangerous currents? Considering the dives will be performed from shore with two experienced (but not locally experienced) shore divers.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Are there any sites that may offer an increased chance of seeing sharks? Reef sharks, white tips, hamme heads, etc... I've read the threads about the tiger spot.

Also, can the knowledgeable please add a few names of sites to avoid in general due to dangerous currents? Considering the dives will be performed from shore with two experienced (but not locally experienced) shore divers.

Sharks.... any and all dive sites have the possibility of seeing sharks. Yet, in many years of diving in Hawaii I've rarely seen them, except when spearfishing in my youth. Maybe others will chime in with areas they reliably see sharks. They are there, including tigers, but they "hear" your regulator long before you can see them, and it seems to me that they stay just out of visible range.

Dangerous currents.... should not be an issue at most dive sites. If you can safely enter and exit, which in most spots on this island means a fairly calm day, you should not have much issue with underwater current. Surface current is a different animal in some areas, and generally is wind-driven. If you are an experienced shore diver there should be not much problem spotting wind patterns and near-shore surface current. As a general rule, you must be prepared to navigate to and from your entry/exit point underwater in order to avoid long surface swims (which could expose you to "inconvenient" currents).

This brings up the point that most dive spots on the Big Island have just one safe entry/exit point. You must return to that exact point to get back out of the water. This is usually fairly easy if you pay attention to landmarks and compass headings during the dive.

I have experienced fairly strong surface current under certain conditions at Kohala dive sites including Mahukona, at some of the dive sites here on the windward side (the Hilo side where I live), occasionally the south Kona sites. Again, this usually is not a big surprise if you spend a few minutes observing the ocean before getting in; if you see white caps a few hundred yards offshore, there will be strong surface current. It will not be a problem unless you are forced to do a long surface swim back, which is easily avoided by staying aware of your surroundings during the dive and navigating throughout the dive. The only areas I might say to avoid would be South Point and some of the East Hawaii sites (which most divers visiting Hawaii are unlikely to dive anyway). The "usual" Kona and Kohala sites are generally safe if you use good judgement.

Best wishes.

There are caves here and there where white tip reef sharks can often be found, but it wouldn't be easy to describe how to find these exact spots. Casa Cave is one that you might be able to find directions to, or even a boat that would take you there. I've seen white tips at Honaunau, while poking around the caves in the shallows along the south side of the bay - something possible only on the calmest of days there. Some boat dive sites like those along Kohanaiki, and down at Red Hill, often have sharks - if you're lucky enough to be the first group at the site that day. In my experience you're unlikely to see a swimming white tip during the day, unless he's just been rousted from his lair, so poke your light into every hole you see if you hope to spot one. Night dives might be more productive.

I've been there when hammerheads have been reported way south, but those times and dives are highly hit or miss from what I've seen.

The only spot I can think of where current is a real concern near Kailua Town is at Keahole Pt., just south of the airport. You can discern current at a number of sites, especially if it's one where you can swim out to the down-slope, but I've never experienced much velocity except at Keahole.

ETA: just remembered you can get strong current at Hookena as well, if you head out and north from the beach very far.

Sharks.... any and all dive sites have the possibility of seeing sharks. Yet, in many years of diving in Hawaii I've rarely seen them, except when spearfishing in my youth. Maybe others will chime in with areas they reliably see sharks. They are there, including tigers, but they "hear" your regulator long before you can see them, and it seems to me that they stay just out of visible range.

Dangerous currents.... should not be an issue at most dive sites. If you can safely enter and exit, which in most spots on this island means a fairly calm day, you should not have much issue with underwater current. Surface current is a different animal in some areas, and generally is wind-driven. If you are an experienced shore diver there should be not much problem spotting wind patterns and near-shore surface current. As a general rule, you must be prepared to navigate to and from your entry/exit point underwater in order to avoid long surface swims (which could expose you to "inconvenient" currents).

This brings up the point that most dive spots on the Big Island have just one safe entry/exit point. You must return to that exact point to get back out of the water. This is usually fairly easy if you pay attention to landmarks and compass headings during the dive.

I have experienced fairly strong surface current under certain conditions at Kohala dive sites including Mahukona, at some of the dive sites here on the windward side (the Hilo side where I live), occasionally the south Kona sites. Again, this usually is not a big surprise if you spend a few minutes observing the ocean before getting in; if you see white caps a few hundred yards offshore, there will be strong surface current. It will not be a problem unless you are forced to do a long surface swim back, which is easily avoided by staying aware of your surroundings during the dive and navigating throughout the dive. The only areas I might say to avoid would be South Point and some of the East Hawaii sites (which most divers visiting Hawaii are unlikely to dive anyway). The "usual" Kona and Kohala sites are generally safe if you use good judgement.

Best wishes.
Thank you for taking the time to respond, this is great information.

I will be diving Kona coast in late July, I would love to dive with some dolphins! Are there known sites that have an increased chance of spotting dolphins? Maybe coves where pods tend to hang out more often... I would love any advice. This will all be done from shore.

Anyone have experience diving at Mahukona Beach Park or Kapa'a Beach Park?
Mahukona is a great dive for a beginner (if you really did less than 24 dives, as your info suggests). This is the easiest ocean entrance and exit on the whole island. However, Mahukona has lots of sandy spots. Meaning, that visibility is poor when the surf picks up.

Kapa'a is on Kauai, right?

---------- Post added June 29th, 2015 at 01:14 PM ----------

I will be diving Kona coast in late July, I would love to dive with some dolphins! Are there known sites that have an increased chance of spotting dolphins? Maybe coves where pods tend to hang out more often... I would love any advice. This will all be done from shore.
2-Steps and Hookena.

---------- Post added June 29th, 2015 at 01:23 PM ----------

Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: The Big Island, Hawaiian Islands
but outside the cove it drops off quickly with garden eels at 130 feet.
You don't have to go that deep. Garden eels colonies start at 60-70 ft, maybe even at 40-50 to the right (towards the marina entrance). Alua (or Alula sometimes, or "Dog Beach") is so crowded on weekends you need to come early.

---------- Post added June 29th, 2015 at 01:33 PM ----------

You will see more reef sharks if you go snorkeling. The tend to stay in caves in shallow water during the day. Here is where I always saw a reef shark in 2013. Go to Manini Beach Park. Snorkel out a bit to the right across the bay. Get to the area where huge dome corals are. Find the very last one on the left, at the north-west corner. This dome is especially huge, and there always was a reef coral shark under it. If it is not there, it may be hiding in one of the several caves closer to the shore, swim west along the lava shore.

Back
Top Bottom