big O rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And if its a tough to find o-ring, there is always Marco Rubber

http://www.marcorubber.com/

I use these guys when Air-Oil doesn't have what I need.

oxyhacker:
www.air-oil.com seems to be able to supply just about any size for a very good price, but the shipping/handling is $7 or so which makes it expensive for small orders, though cheaper than driving around checking out every tractor, bearing and pool shop.

I usually just get O-ring material on a big roll and make my own. Don't stretch it, just make sure it's a little short and then use "super glue" to make it one piece. Use a very (!) sharp razor blade to cut the ends at 90 degrees so they line up perfectly.
done deal.

Just a few hits on a google search

Spherical Bearings, Roller - US
... Atlanta, GA, United States Dixie Aerospace distributes ... the source for seals bearings
sprockets roller ... Amazonia International, Tampa, FL, United States Located ...
www.kellysearch.com/us-product-7727.html - 38k - Supplemental Result - Cached - Similar pages

IT: Internet Tollfree Yellow Pages
... DIXIE AEROSPACE, 800 241-8471. Atlanta GA. Visit our Web Site at: www.dixiebearings.com. ... Tyler
TX. BALL & ROLLER BEARING COMPANY, 800 282-0504. Tampa FL. ...
internettollfree.com/headlist.cfm?HeadCode=072350& SearchList=Bearings&ShowHeading=No - 28k - Cached - Similar pages

Ball and Roller Bearing Manufacturing Florida 813 Area Code ...
... Dixie Bearings Inc, 813-544-5899, 1254 Channelside Dr, Tampa, FL,
33602. Miller Bearings Inc, 813-536-5521, 6480 126th Ave, Largo, FL,
34643. ...
www.gy.com/biz/332991/813.htm - 5k - Supplemental Result - Cached - Similar pages

Any shop that repairs/replaces gas tanks should have some on hand. The o-rings that seal the sending units come in a varity of sizes. They'll probally have a few to gladly donate.

munkispank:
OK- I am in the midle of building an underwatwer camcorder housing from some of the designs found on here- Its Going well condsidering I am not much of a handy-gal. But I cannot find a big O ring. The details I am following say to go to a bearings shop- whats one of them????

BTW, I am looking for a 6-6.5 inch one to fit 6.5 inch diameter plastic pipe.

any suggestions????

Believe it or not I have purchased O-rings that size from a swimming pool supply. They use them for filters and chlorinators. The O-rings I bought were for a "Hayward" filter.

I second the suggestion to cut your own. McMaster-Carr, and I'm sure others sell a kit with the O-Ring Cord, the super glue and a little fixture for cutting straight. Pretty cheap if IIRC~ $20.

I've used these "home made O-rings" with good success in some high cycle high load apps without failure.

Needed them for the very same reason, I needed 1-2 large odd size rings and didn't want to buy a pack of 100 for big $$.

Good Luck,

Tobin George

If you are in the Orlando area ever, there is a place called skycraft. They buy a ton of excess parts from the government and other military contractors and sell them. I have bought a ton of stuff from them and always satisifed. If you wondered where MacGuyver (sp) shopped, you have found it. It is off of the fairbanks exit just north of Orlando. Head east 200ft and you will see the giant spacecraft on the roof. Looks like a sci-fi place, but nothing like that. A buddy from NASA pointed it out to me years ago when I was looking for a water tight project box.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom