Billabong wetsuit? (and other gear for a newbie/petite girl)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(I'm just playing devil's advocate here) I still don't have a computer and it will be the last piece of equipment I buy. Why? Because you don't need one. Do I want one? Yeah. Need one? Absolutely NOT! Dive tables have kept myself and many others alive and DCS free without the need of a computer. I guess this also depends on your course though, as it seems some shops now offer the option to disregard tables and use a computer only (a crying shame, in my opinion).

Very sound advice with the safety gear though! Especially considering how cheap and small these items are!

Same here.. I have argued for yrs on sailing boards about relying on chartplotters rather than having paper charts and knowing how to use them, and plot a course if the electronics fail. It is the same with a dive computer.. Of course I am going to buy one. however in trying a mares Puck and a suunto zoop on my wrist the guy at the lds could not stop laughing. I was like a 2 yr old putting on Dad's watch.. lmao.
It is not high on my priorities at the moment. Bringing my skills back up to par is paramount at this point.

I am of the firm opinion, that it doesn't matter what sport or job one is learning one needs to have a backup plan and knowledge if the electronics fail. So what happens IF the computer croaks.. and you never learned to use a dive table? just sayin' :blinking:

I'm 5'2", so I totally know where you're coming from. I'd stick with the Henderson/Neosport wetsuits. They fit me just fine. I think the other brands you mentioned I think are mostly for surfing, so I don't know how they would do for diving. There may be design differences.

And yes, you can just rent the pieces you need, if you have a wetsuit, but need a BCD, that's fine.

I bought all my own gear just before I did my OW dives, except for the wetsuit. The gear we used in the pool during my class didn't fit me properly and I just couldn't get comfortable in it. I bought the Zeagle Zena, and it is wonderful! Fits like it was made for me. I rented a wetsuit in Belize, and the only ones they had were mens. Not so comfortable in the chest area, I felt like I was squished. I bought a womens wetsuit as soon as I came home. What a difference, I can breathe in it! Lol.
If I'm comfortable in what I'm wearing, my dives seem to go a lot smoother. Definitely take the time to try on what you buy, or at least make sure you can return it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom