Billet Aluminum Housing for GoPro - WOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

..............and price, and value, are pure emotions as are your net worth and appreciation of your equipment and if when if fails you you're S.O.L

Harbor Freight Tools, Craftsman, or Snap-on.

I'll take the upper end Craftsman myself, others may vary.

I would have to agree with a lot that the price for the kit that most would want seems a little extreme for a new product. Most people would want the Pro Kit that runs $375. I think the product looks great and if the price point was better I would probably purchase one but when you can buy a Backscatter with basically the same setup and they have been around forever for under $200 its hard to justify. Its almost twice the price for a new product.

I have a hard time justifying the costs of an expensive aftermarket housing for a $300 camera. If I had a dSLR with a $1000 lens I'd look at it differently. The GoPro is disposable underwater fun. If it floods I'm out $300. Big deal. Buy another.

I think it looks like a great product but have to agree with you 615fun. If the price on these come down to compete with Backscatters pricing I will probably purchase one

I agree it is to a great cause. I would rather purchase a housing and help him fund it that way. Any thoughts of having a good deal on the Pro Kits to help fund the campaign?

Also need to say that the stock housing really is pretty tough. I've had mine (with a flat port installed) to ~ 150' and it worked like a champ. I took it knowing I was pushing past the limit. Like I said. It's a cheap camera. I can replace GoPro cameras all day and still be cheaper than the really robust offerings.

Here is a vid on a GoPro (960 version) in a stock housing. We hit 150' and 42F bottom temps. I'd say it'll take a beating and keep on ticking.

http://vimeo.com/43608019

Also need to say that the stock housing really is pretty tough. I've had mine (with a flat port installed) to ~ 150' and it worked like a champ. I took it knowing I was pushing past the limit. Like I said. It's a cheap camera. I can replace GoPro cameras all day and still be cheaper than the really robust offerings.

Here is a vid on a GoPro (960 version) in a stock housing. We hit 150' and 42F bottom temps. I'd say it'll take a beating and keep on ticking.

Dunderberg Video on Vimeo

The stock GoPro housing is good to 197' so you should have plenty of depth remaining. The vignetting in the video however indicates you were not using a stock housing. Which lens mod were you using?

The stock GoPro housing is good to 197' so you should have plenty of depth remaining. The vignetting in the video however indicates you were not using a stock housing. Which lens mod were you using?

http://freedivingspearfishinggear.com/61-gopro-flat-lens.html

Cheapest one I found a few years back. The original housing was rated to 100'. I just picked the new one up that rated 197' and should eliminate the vignette.

Hi All,

I wanted to take a moment and offer my own view on the Hero Armor U/W housing for the GoPro line of camera's. In bringing a product to market the one thing I can tell you with certainty is this, you will not meet everyones expectations for every application or price point. You can however bring a new product or design that has market appeal to particular segments where it fits well.

When designing the Hero Armor, the first thing I thought to do was to create something that matched what I liked about my other professional DSLR housings, the rugged feel and durability of an all aluminum housing. Then was the obvious lens blur from the original small plastic dome. That also was a pretty good indication that the OEM housing for the Hero camera was never meant, or designed to be underwater...splash proof, yes but not intended for underwater filming. That's why I chose to go to a crystal glass optic lens. This gives the best optical view for the cameras lens...both above and below the water line. And that proprietary fixture on the bottom was a weak link the OEM design. That's why I opted to give divers standard 1/4 20 threaded mounting options. And not just on the bottom. But I've added them to the side and top. So now I can attach my housing to a pole, from the top...something you can't do out of the box with the old housing. A minor consideration to be sure, but I just made a lot of film makers happy who frequent Tiger Beach.

For me, I wanted to create the best possible housing for the GoPro.

Back
Top Bottom