Bird Rock, Catalina Island, March 11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlyle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I've been dry for almost a month and was eager to get back in the water. Breathe in, breathe out, repeat...

Scott and Margaret suggested we take the boat to Catalina Island for the day in search of good visibility. The ocean was flat, flat, flat - calm seas and no wind. We made the quick run to the Isthmus and anchored off Bird Rock.

The two dives were very nice, with no current, good visibility, and the usual suspects. Both Margaret and I were armed with our Olympus E-330s fitted with Zuiko 14-54mm lenses. Scott had his new D-200 to play with. Margaret was on a hunt to find the elusive Janolus barbarensis nudibranch - they spotted one, I saw zip.

Here are a few of my "keepers" from yesterday.

Tube-dwelling anemone (Pachycerianthus fimbriatus)
anemone640.jpg

Warty sea cucumber (Parastichopus californicus)
cucumber640.jpg

Garibaldi - the California State Marine Fish (Hysypops rubicundus)
garibaldi640.jpg

Bluebanded goby (Lythrypnus dalli) ready to dart into the urchin should I make a wrong move.
gobies640.jpg

Norris's top snail (Lithopoma undosum). Hang ten! It looks like the snail is surfing the kelp frond. "Cool, Dude!"
surfingsnail640.jpg

goby2640.jpg

Octopus & friend (Octopus bimaculatus?)
octopus640.jpg

Master of all he surveys. Blackeye goby (Coryphopterus nicholsi)
goby640.jpg

Leafy hornmouth snail (Ceratostoma foliatum) laying eggs. I wondered who was laying the orange "capacitors" on the rocks.
"
hornmouth640.jpg

kelpsnail640.jpg

Giant spined star (Pisaster giganteus).
starskin640.jpg

A little wide angle action. This gives you an idea of what diving in CA looks like.
wideangle640.jpg

All the Janolus barbarensis were in the dive park according to Claudette and Ken! Glad you had a good trip to Bird Rock. Did you bring your snow skis?

Hey, Bill! Maybe we should have gone to the Marine Park and gotten some pictures of the new wetsuit! Lots of "snow" on Bird these days and downwind isn't pleasant.

I was at bird rock recently, too. My first time there. We had a bit of current and the viz was down a bit. What I really noticed were alot of flies on the surface.

jefe:
I was at bird rock recently, too. My first time there. We had a bit of current and the viz was down a bit. What I really noticed were alot of flies on the surface.

Ah, the dreaded Kelp Fly! They live and breed on the kelp and on a windless, hot day can really be annoying.

Back
Top Bottom