Bitten by Parrot Fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Dave

New
Reaction score
My daughter and I went diving on Saturday on a 45' reef a few miles north of Fort Lauderdale "Hillsboro Domes." Almost as soon as we entered the water and made our decent, a large 24" long blue parrot fish began to follow us. I did not think much of it, as I always considered these peaceful coral eating fish. We covered about 250' of ground in 25 minutes. The fish constantly following us, occasionally swimming at us with its mouth open. I saw three lobster in a hole and with my tickle stick and net went to get some lunch. A few minutes latter, my daughter got my attention and showed me her forehead where the parrot fish had bitten her twice and the fish was still threatening us. I lightly poked it with my tickle stick. This had little effect. We immediately began to surface. We attempted a 3 minute safety stop at 15' but the fish continued to take runs at us with its mouth open. We surfaced about 250' from the boat. We made the surface swim being followed by the fish. Upon entering the boat the fish hovered around 20' occasionally charging us on the ladder.

Attached is a picture of the two bite marks taken several hours after the attack. The swelling had receded somewhat. Her head was the only exposed skin as we were wearing full wetsuits and gloves, something we usually do not do, but it was especially cold that day.

I have never heard of anything like this. We did nothing to harass this fish and had no food with us. :confused:

I have heard of morays, barracudas, and trigger fish occasionally bitting, but never a parrot fish chasing us over 250' of bottem and the entire water column.

Attachments

• IMG_4246.JPG
    IMG_4246.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 7,160
Come dive the Great Lakes!!! That NEVER happens here:D

yeah our parrot fish are frozen.

They do terrify me though. I looked at the marks left on the coral after they have eaten. I was attacked by a 2" pilot fish in Curacao last year.

I've never seen anything like that...I've been chased by some pretty vicious Titan Triggers, but never by a Parrotfish. Glad your daughter is ok..

I had a Tarpon get an attitude on me once.
Sounds like aggressive behavior (as opposed to defensive).
Don't see that from Parrotfish very often.

Glad she is OK.

If that was my daughter I'd be finding out what Parrott fish tastes like....

:popcorn:

I hear they taste like chicken:rofl3:J/K I hope your daughter is ok.

I've heard an instructor who spearfishes on the rigs of the Louisiana coast say that parrot fish can get mean (and that one took a chunk out of another diver's wetsuit), but I've never had occasion to see for myself.

Capt Dave:
My daughter and I went diving on Saturday on a 45' reef a few miles north of Fort Lauderdale "Hillsboro Domes." Almost as soon as we entered the water and made our decent. I large 24" long blue parrot fish began to follow us. I did not think much of it, as I always considered these peaceful coral eating fish. We covered about 250' of ground in 25 minutes. The fish constantly following us, occasionally swimming at us with its mouth open. I saw three lobster in a hole and with my tickle stick and net went to get some lunch. A few minutes latter, my daughter got my attention and showed me her forehead where the parrot fish had bitten her twice and the fish was still threatening us. I lightly poked it with my tickle stick. This had little effect. We immediately began to surface. We attempted a 3 minute safety stop at 15' but the fish continued to take runs at us with its mouth open. We surfaced about 250' from the boat. We made the surface swim being followed by the fish. Upon entering the boat the fish hovered around 20' occasionally charging us on the ladder.

Attached is a picture of the two bite marks taken several hours after the attack. The swelling had receded somewhat. Her head was the only exposed skin as we were wearing full wetsuits and gloves, something we usually do not do, but it was especially cold that day.

I have never heard of anything like this. We did nothing to harass this fish and had no food with us. :confused:

I have heard of morays, barracudas, and trigger fish occasionally bitting, but never a parrot fish over 250' of bottem and the entire water column.

Stalking is weird. Only ever had barricuda follow me around. Defending a nest I can see, but this behavior is spooky. I assume this was a frequently dived site. Maybe he's just had enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom