black goo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daffleck

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
found this in cozumel there was lots of it different shapes and sizes. no local dm's could tell me what it was. this one was about size of my head
photo.php

---------- Post added February 1st, 2015 at 05:35 PM ----------

[img=http://www68.zippyshare.com/thumb/HEHZjO93/file.html][/img] ok maybe this will work

Previously posted by Daffleck:
....found this in cozumel there was lots of it different shapes and sizes. no local dm's could tell me what it was. this one was about size of my head ...

Sorry, I can't see your pictures but the description of "black goo" reminds me of tarballs that we have seen on beaches and in the water in various locations, including the Bahamas. They are balls of petroleum products left over from oil spills, some of them can be quite large. You can see a picture of a big one at the link below:

Tar Balls Wash Ashore In Alabama Following Tropical Storm Lee

Last edited:
did you notice anyone molesting octopus?

this looks like octopus ink to me. the ink retains shape and can be seen 10 or 15 minutes later if there is very little current.

on our recent bonaire trip we stumbled upon a day time octopus which "swelled up" and then inked before scooting away. the ink remained suspended in the water column. partsof it looked just like your photo.

I'll go with ink also.

Last edited by a moderator:
did you notice anyone molesting octopus?

this looks like octopus ink to me. the ink retains shape and can be seen 10 or 15 minutes later if there is very little current.

on our recent bonaire trip we stumbled upon a day time octopus which "swelled up" and then inked before scooting away. the ink remained suspended in the water column. partsof it looked just like your photo.
and to be VERY clear. We did not molest the octo. it was free swimming on a sand bottom at around 10 feet about 20 feet away from the dock during our morning dive.

i think it saw us at about the same time we saw it. Surprise! It rose up a bit and spread it's skirt (trying to look "large" and intimidating?) and then a few seconds later it inked and scooted between us. It zipped into a nearby large pipe (garbage off the dock) and compressed itself onto the inside wall of the 2 foot tube. We followed and from my end of the pipe it looked like an encrusting sponge so i was confused about where it went. My divebuddy pointed and indicated "there it is stupid". I swam around to the other end of the pipe and it clearly was an octopus stuck to the inside of a pipe. i took a few pics, stared at it for a while and then swam on. By this time the ink had separated into 4 or 5 "strands" that looked very similar to the OP pic.

I have never before witnessed an octopus "spontaneously" inking. They either ignore me or slyly slink away over there...

I have seen them ink every time a Hawaiian divemaster molested one. One of the reasons we are not in a hurry to go back there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom