Black Rock tank rental

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've read conflicting posts about the cost of renting a tank at Black Rock....varying from $10 to $30. I realize that the kiosk at the Sheraton only has AL63 tanks and that they will be more expensive than renting from a dive shop, but I'd like to know the actual cost to be able to decide if lugging tanks from the parking lot is worth it. All I want to know is the cost of renting tanks, not any guided dives.

Thanks soooo much!

Renting full sized tanks for 4 bucks from a diveshop is worth lugging them to me :)

I'll be hitting Black Rock several times in March, and I'll be lugging tanks in as well. You could always hit the Maui Dive Shop in Whaler's village... I think they charge $5 for tank rental, or hit one of the shops on your way out there. You'll drive past half a dozen.

I don't remember an actual price at the Sheraton either... but it wasn't cheap.

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif](808) 662-8135 is the number for their activities desk, you could always call and ask.[/font]

-B.

Hi DiveMe,
We dove Black Rock recently and rented from the Sheraton kiosk right next to the beach at Black Rock. It's called 5-star scuba (although I'd say more like 3 stars if you ask me). It was about $24 per person including tax for the tank & wts. We only had time for 1 dive but I think additional tanks same day are $7 or so. It's definitely expensive for what you get (only AL 63's) but much less hassle than dragging tanks back and forth from some other shop and we were pressed for time (we went to a wedding on the other side of the island right afterward!). Since the site is shallow (less than 30 ft) we were able to get a decent dive out of the 63's. The rest of their equipment looks pretty mediocre so I would bring your own BC/reg if you can. I think it was worth the convenience. I don't think they allow you to keep the tank overnight though so I'll have to figure something else out if we ever go back for a night dive.

$24 for tank and weights is nuts. It isn't that big of a deal for me to haul tanks... 40 lbs isn't bad, especially when wearing your BC. It's definetly not worth $20 more for me.

Course... this is coming from the guy who finished his dive at Black Rock, walked in full scuba gear to the Mcdonald's at Whaler's Village, paid with soaking wet money, then hitchhiked back to Airport beach to do it all over again.

-B.

fairbanksdiver:
Course... this is coming from the guy who finished his dive at Black Rock, walked in full scuba gear to the Mcdonald's at Whaler's Village, paid with soaking wet money, then hitchhiked back to Airport beach to do it all over again.

-B.
I'd dive with you any day :)

And to think I wimped out on a dive this week just because of a little fever and headcold... I gotta find a little more determination I guess...

Tim

Thanks everyone! I called last night and was told that a tank is $15 and weights are $8. If you want a second tank, it's $7.50....which is at least closer to a reasonable cost. Guess we'll be going early (to get a good parking spot) and lugging tanks.

fairbanksdiver:
$24 for tank and weights is nuts. It isn't that big of a deal for me to haul tanks... 40 lbs isn't bad, especially when wearing your BC. It's definetly not worth $20 more for me.
-B.

Yes, I agree the price is outrageous. But we were already staying at Kaanapali Beach and it would have been a long walk lugging the tanks back and forth from the dive shop at Whaler's Village and we were pressed for time. Considering it allowed us to squeeze in a dive that we wouldn't otherwise have had time to do, paying a little extra for the convenience was worth it to me. You also don't say how much parking is at the Sheraton. By the way, they charge $18 for tanks and weights at Monterey Bay Dive Center so it's not that far off.

Well in that case... if it was the only way for you to dive... then by all means pay the extra money. It beats $120 for a boat dive, or $49 for rent-a-buddy.

Little bit of planning, and you can save a bundle.

As for parking... aren't there a couple free spots in the garage if you get there early enough?

-B

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom