Black vs. Clear Silicone on Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just come back from a week diving and my black Apollo mask was AWESOME. I have a spare clear in my BC, so one day I swapped while underwater.

Putting the clear on was a shock the amount of glare and light reflection coming in from the mask sides was amazing...

Kind of like taking your sunglasses off on a bright day.

Swapped back to my black and .... phew that's better.

Thanks for all the tips. I'll keep my clear for my next night dive, and of course I'll always carry my spare.. :D

Also thanks to Buy scuba gear, scuba diving and snorkeling equipment, and everything underwater from LeisurePro.com for excellent service.. My fins I ordered on the Sunday. They were delivered the following Wed. That's 3 days from NYC to the UK..

:ppd:

Hey, that sounds cool. Does it go with the driver's white right arm / brown left arm thing ?

Hey this sounds interesting. Sunbathe naked with black mask and gauntlet type gloves plus long thigh length boots.. :rofl3:

That'll confuse things.. :soccer:

tryout a low profile black skirted mask. i had a regular clear mask and found the regular black masks kinda claustraphobic. so i tried out a low profile mask with black skirt [aqualung micromask]. this mask holds much less volume of air as the lenses are closer to the eyes. it does wonders. plus, the skirt doesn't turn color. aqualung and some other companies carry other low profile ones too. works well for "smile lines".

Hey this sounds interesting. Sunbathe naked with black mask and gauntlet type gloves plus long thigh length boots

My students often wore gloves with a shorty wetsuit to get a 'golf tan', which is apparently very cool.

After losing my Black Cressi mask in rough waters, I decided to buy the clear silicone mask as I heard it felt airy and allowed light in. I hated it the very first time I wore it. The amount of reflection from all sides of the mask is projected on the lens even on cloudy days. I took both my hands and cupped around the sides to see clearly. I will have to purchase the exact same cressi mask in black and swap the lenses. As I put my full prescription lenses in the clear mask at US$300.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom