Black Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LioKai

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I've had a few requests to see some pics from the black water dives. Black water diving is when we take the boat a few miles off shore and drop in to the darkness armed with a few lights and cameras while drifting with the currents to see what comes by. Most of the creatures are un-named and many scientificly unknown.

One of the more common animals is the Venus Girdle. Normally it is flat and long. This is the first time I have ever seen it roll into a ball. Size is about 3 inches across.

I loaded these pics without reducing the size, so it may take a moment to load once you click onto them.

I normally shoot video. This was my first attempt shooting still photography. Took the first 40 shots to realize I am not supposed to hold the trigger.

Matthew

All I can say is: Wow!

Oh yeah, and "More, Please!"

How interesting is that??? do you do one dive on that charter or more?

justleesa:
do you do one dive on that charter or more?

We have been running it as a 2 tank charter. The first tank is with the mantas and the second tank is black water.

I am running three of them this week and I am shooting video for a contest. If things go well tonight then I will shift gears and shoot stills tomorrow.

So the limit is four divers in the water? We may have five. Would it work if they counted me as a second DM? Id hate to leave anybody behind. Oh ya and two manta snorklers.
Just waiting to hear back from Grizz and Mrs Grizz about the exact date. Im thinking friday the 26th.
Im so excited to be going back to the Big Isle again.

Wildcard:
So the limit is four divers in the water? We may have five.

Captains call on the quantity of divers for the black water, so you darn well better be requesting (insisting upon) me. Four is optimal, five is OK, 6 has been done only for those that are on their second outing of the week. The Manta dive is limited to 12 passengers, then we come back in to the harbor and drop off the manta-only people, THEN we head back out. The timing is perfect since the dive tables show that a 1 hour and 15 minute surface interval is required. Dive with the computers, plan with the tables.

Cool! I will book as soon as I hear from the rest of the group.

Chris Newbert used to do that when he was putting together his book "Beneath The Rainbow Sea". He would go out to a FAD buoy and solo down to 200' and see what came by his cameras.
Then a while ago, I saw a video that they made on that floating fishing island that was off Kona where a great white shark attacked a marlin at night out in the wild black yonder.
Have fun with that black water stuff.

Oh Man! I want to do this dive!

OK, I have four for sures and one Im still waiting on to hear back. She should be on island tomorrow.
Ordered the new strobe so I can get some better shots.
I think I will hold off passing along the shark stroy untill after the dive.
Quick question. Is it wrong to put chum in your dive buddies BC so I can get better photo ops?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom