Blackbeard Cruise review for 05/2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We booked our trip through our close water dive instructors. We decided we'd prefer to be open water certified in the Bahamas rather than a murky, cold Iowa lake. My husband and I were certified by the dive master, Jason. He was wonderful to work with! He was very patient with me (as was the entire crew). I was very nervous starting out! His dive briefings were very informative and spot on.

I was quite impressed with the level of the food, care and dives that we received for the price. We boarded the Sea Explorer on a Saturday and diving ended Thursday afternoon, but there were 19 dives during that time. I dove 14 and my husband dove 18 times. There were wreck dives, blue hole dive, shark feeding dive, the washing machine and reef dives. Some of the other divers free dived to spear lion fish, so we had lion fish ceviche one day. The trip includes all meals, snacks, beer, wine and rum punch for $995pp!

They advertise themselves as camping at sea. Be aware that it's not like some super fancy RV, it's more tent camping. But still very comfortable and has air conditioning in the rooms. There isn't a lot of privacy and it'd be very tight quarters if the weather prevented everyone from being up top. As a couple we had one of the larger bottom bunks and then a bunkmate above. Each bunk had a canvas curtain. There was a narrow shelf that ran the foot of the bunk to store your stuff. Dive equipment stayed on the top deck. There was approximately 1' deep by 7' wide of space in front of the bunks to stand, then a 2-3' hallway separating our room from the next room. The hallway contained the ladder to the top deck and the door to the bathroom. There's a marine head (rather than a flushing toilet) that must be pumped to operate and a small sink. There were three heads for 22 passengers and 6 crew. There's one shower in which you can have unlimited salt water showers, but only 30 seconds of fresh water per day. On the top deck there's a limited supply of water to hose down with after a dive.

I really can't say enough about the crew. They were fabulous! Captain Chris, 1st Mate Jim, Engineer Breezy and Cody, Cook Tristan and Dive Master Jason. They were so helpful, knowledgeable and always willing to answer our questions. It's amazing what Tristan can prepare in that tiny galley!! We had some wonderful meals and snacks. My husband also had the privilege of landing a sailfish while on the trip. He was so thrilled and the crew was again wonderful! We’re already planning our next Blackbeard-Cruise!

I did a trip with Blackbeard a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Had a great group of diverts on board that trip and with one exception the crew was great (that exception is no longer there).

What's the max. # of dives/day you did? It's my understanding they don't offer a nitrox option; did anyone mention running close to NDL's on the trip?

Richard.

It takes 2 hours to fill tanks so figure 3-4 dives daily.

It takes 2 hours to fill tanks so figure 3-4 dives daily.

Right, but I've been on liveaboards that offered 5-6 dives a day. Haven't been on Blackbeard though so it'll be interesting to see what they actually dove and if they were offered Nitrox.

Last edited:
No nitrox as of last November on Blackbeard's.

Blackbeard's doesn't have Nitrox. They do one dive on Saturday, 4 Sunday though Wednesday and 2 to 3 on Thursday.

Bruce Purdy
All Star Liveaboards

Like Bruce said no nitrox. We dove once the day we boarded (Saturday), then there were 4 dives each day through Wednesday, then Thursday we dived twice.

I'd love to view my pictures and videos at the end of the day. I understand that there's a TV and DVD player, do you know if it's set up with a card reader or similar so that divers can watch their shots? Did anyone do this during your week aboard?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom