Blackbeard Liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took my first ever liveaboard with Blackbeard's in 2000 when they were based out of Miami - it was dirt-cheap then, under $750, but we had to put up with the rough winter seacrossing on the first night out of Miami. You won't have to put up with this now that Blackbeard is based in the Bahamas. The diving is not bad, comparable to the best of the Bahamas, but not the best in the Caribbean. I can remember the chats with fellow divers under the stars, the shimmering reflection of the moon on the ocean, and not seeing land in all directions on that trip.
It should be fine as a first liveaboard (particularly if you're looking for economy) if you can put up with "spartan", "camping at sea" conditions, as most posters have described, are a sociable person (you don't have to be a super-friendly social butterfly, but so long as you can put up with most kinds of people, it's OK). Privacy is hard to find on board since you don't have a room of your own even if you're a couple. The compressor can be loud while they fill up your tanks. The crew is underpaid but still try to make you feel well-looked after (tip well if you're well taken care of).
I'll definitely get DAN insurance and bring a safety sausage - my buddy and I got separated during a low vis drift dive and it took them over 10 mins to spot us as we didn't have any SMB (my Divehorn was useless as they were filling up tanks and couldn't hear it). Oh, and don't drink too much if you're planning on doing the first dive after the night on shore at Bimini.
Enjoy your trip.

Ironically, what everyone has said has made me double glad not to have booked with Blackbeards.....this style of liveaboard diving is definitely NOT for me.

Nothing negative about the operation, simply just a case of a mismatch...I prefer more privacy and creature comforts than they offer. Guess I'll stick with Nekton for awhile. :wink:

I have been a number of liveaboards. While the accommodations are roomier on many of the others, I have never had more fun then on my Blackbeard trips and at the price they charge you can do more of them.

If the Blackbeard's "camping at sea" accomodations is not you're style, try one of their oter boats, the "Cat Ppalu" or the "Aqua Cat" on for size. The "Cat Ppalu" is a 65' catamaran that holds 12 divers with a crew of 4. This boat is done on a full boat charter basis. It is clean and comfortable an the crews are great. I just finished our 4th trip and have already booked for May 2009. It works out to a little more per person that one of the 3 sloops running out of Freeport. If you need luxury, try the "AquaCat" out of Nassau, Bahamas. It is a 102' luxury boat. All of them offer the great service that Blackbeard's is known for.

I can't wait until next year.

i've got a trip planned for sept. hope it's good

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom