Blackbeards Exuma?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cariss2709

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Blackbeards is offering a weeklong trip in May leaving from Nassau to the Exumas. I wasn't sure if they've offfered this type of trip before, but has anyone been? It's supposed to follow the same route as the Aquacat.

Also, I've read rumors that there's some lionfish going around the area there, so that it's not as great anymore. But with water temps of 50 looking decent from where I'm at, I'm sure it won't take much to impress me. :blinking:

Thanks for all the help (in advance)

I did a trip with them there last summer. I thought the diving was great, especially the walls and the shark dive. The drift dives were a nice change of pace. We only had one dive site with a lot of lionfish, the Blue Hole. We did see a few others at other sites but the most was 2 and most sites had none. From what I have read they are all over the Caribbean now.

I did this itinerary on the Aquacat 2 weeks ago (i usually do 2 trips a year with Aquacat). It has been many years since I have done a Blackbeards cruise, but they are owned by the same company. The Blackbeards cruises are less luxurious, but much less expensive. To answer your questions about Exuma diving, the water temps Feb 20 to 27 were 74 or 75 degrees all week. Lionfish populations in the area have been steadilly increasing over the past 5 years. There are still good numbers of reef fish, except for smaller species (like Silversides), which are becoming increasingly rare. I see less juvienile fish these days, but have not seen a decrease in the number of adult reef fish. I think that maybe the juveniles are learning to stay hidden from the Lionfish. There is also an overabundance of Sea lettuce covering the coral on many dive sites. This is a direct result of decrease in the Diadema (Black Spiny) Sea urchin population. Despite the ongoing ecosystem changes, the Exumas are still a pleasure to dive, and I am sure you would enjoy a trip there.

Thanks you two. I actually just remembered all the bruises I got from the last time I was on a Blackbeard's cruise ( Unfortunately my lack of agility led to many run-ins with the ladder and door knobs). I'll store the info for the future should I be up for a liveaboard again though. :D

I'll stick with something less tiring and probably land-based this go-around. Saba or Bonaire, here I come!

Back
Top Bottom