Blackbeards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captjohn

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone been on Blackbeards liveaboard cruises that sails from Miami, Florida
to the Bahamas ?

Would like to hear some feedback on them . Me and my Firstmate, Tami are looking to go on one of their cruises and get Married in the Bahamas.

Thanks,
Captjohn.:scuba:

there are some posts in the general travel section relating to blackbeards trips , hope it helps

My first tropical diving trip was with them, great operation, and I especially liked the atmosphere were everything was "centralized" (bunks, heads, dining room) so you had no choice but to mingle with the others on the boat. Obviously if you guys want to have a romantic private holiday, that's the worst place to go, but if you're heading over for excellent diving and a fun group atmosphere, it's the place to go.

To give you an idea of what my week on the Morning Star was, I have picutres up on http://www.securenet.net/members/jlangloi/bahamas/index.html

Enjoy your trip

Privacy? there isn't any on a Blackbeard's cruise, but they are fun and you'll get alot of diving for your scuba-buck!

At the most, you can secure a cabin amidship that accomodates TWO couples...yes, two couples. Two double berths in one cabin. The only thing separating you from the other couple is the curtain on your berth. Within this cabin the area in which you can stand up in will only allow 1 person at a time to stand up to do anything....two people standing up at once and they're mighty chummy. There is a storage area underneath the bottom berth for luggage.

It's been coined many times...."Blackbeard's is camping on the water."

We had a great trip with them, we were on the Morning Star for a week of great diving and it's true that there is no privacy, unless you manage to go topside during the night and hope that no one else has the same idea. The middle holes are as described above with room only for 1 to stand at a time, in ours there was no under the berth storage, the one across from us did have it. We slept with everything we brought with us in our bunk, we just packed lightly. Next trip I want to stay in the main salon, even though it is less private, you have a little more room to move about the bunk and at night they usually set a time to limit the main salon off to others. They also try to leave one of the bunks in the main salon empty so you can store your things in there. The bunks in the front part of the boat aren't too bad, they are single bunks and have a little space about them, but this is where many single divers stay, this would be my second choice in the future. My boyfriend thought he booked us where we would have the most privacy but it was so closed in and with the smell of the head nearby and the couple above us kept blocking off the ac vent with a towel, I could not sleep in there and spent many hours up on the deck at night. After speaking with the captain about the ac being covered, he annouced that if this practice of covering continued that it could cause the whole boat's ac system to freeze up and that would be a major issue especially with the crew and the rest of the passengers, many others donated their blankets to the couple to keep them warm so that the rest of us could have ac and live in comfort. Good luck with your decision.

My local scuba shop has a Blackbeard's cruise scheduled. See www.oceanswindow.com or
www.scubamafia.us

The scuba mafia are two instructors that are going on this cruise.
You can ask them questions as they went last year too, plus this means there may be one available for you.

Back
Top Bottom