Blacktip DPV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It doesn’t work that way. It only works that way if all other things were equal, like efficiency of prop and motor. The prop and motor on the viper and magnus were a 40 year old design for most of their lives. The motor and prop for the Genesis were purposely built for the Genesis. It’s the reason that a 25lb Genesis at ~800watts is faster and runs virtually as long as an XK1 at over 1200watts and over 50lbs.

I mean do you know what the value of having a 65 volt system over a 24 volt system is? Well, me neither, but @JonNellis does :)
Normally it doesn't, and I would take the opportunity to argue with him, but alas, the blacktip and ss motor(with Bt prop, esc and lithium) are fairly closely matched wh for wh with a slight edge to the BT.
I have about 50 dives(3000-6000ft penetrations) were I was on a converted uv26 with a buddy on a bt/20ah pack. I would burn maybe 10% more wh than he did.
More of a testimate to how inefficient the bt motor really is, lol.

My UWLD charge ports are hot and get wet. Doesn't appear to be a problem.
Completely possible to have it set up with an on-board charger that disconnects the packs (electronically) when it sees power applied. Smart charger won't cook the battery as well. Completely doable.

The worst part is having to make a circuit that disconnects the packs from the blacktip. Adding layers of complexity.

Yes. That is exactly the kind of sophistication I was talking about needing.

The post I replied to kind of implied just making the port and, on the inside, having the port wired directly to the battery pack for charging.

Dont forget that a subsea viper is $5000 and a magnus is 7000
The viper has over 2x the range and mag nearly 4

Basic watt hour calculations
The viper has an 840 wh battery and the magnus 1350

2 high end tool batteries have a combined capacity of 432 wh

Its simple math.

I don't have a dog in this fight. But, I do like math.

From the numbers given, the Viper has slightly LESS than double the range (assuming equal overall efficiency). It would need to have 864 W-Hr to be double.

And the Magnus has 3.13 times the range (well, battery capacity, really) - not "nearly 4" (at least, that isn't "nearly" to ME).

Also, a BT with a 20Ah custom pack would be 720W-Hr, I think, for around $2750 - 3000.

However, the BT will still suck on maximum continuous thrust compared to a Magnus.

More math: The BT with Dewalt 12s has a range of around 3.5 miles (per Dive-X specs). (The 20Ah pack should give 5.8 miles.)

3.13 times 3.5 miles means the Magnus would have a range of about 11 miles, for $7000. Again, assuming the same efficiency as the BT.

The Genesis 3.1 is $8750 and claims 8.7 miles of range. However, I also know that that number has not been updated since the 2.1 and the 3.1 is a more efficient motor.

Regardless, the Magnus looks to get equal or better range for $1750 less money.

I don't have a dog in this fight. But, I do like math.

From the numbers given, the Viper has slightly LESS than double the range (assuming equal overall efficiency). It would need to have 864 W-Hr to be double.

And the Magnus has 3.13 times the range (well, battery capacity, really) - not "nearly 4" (at least, that isn't "nearly" to ME).

Also, a BT with a 20Ah custom pack would be 720W-Hr, I think, for around $2750 - 3000.

However, the BT will still suck on maximum continuous thrust compared to a Magnus.

More math: The BT with Dewalt 12s has a range of around 3.5 miles (per Dive-X specs). (The 20Ah pack should give 5.8 miles.)

3.13 times 3.5 miles means the Magnus would have a range of about 11 miles, for $7000. Again, assuming the same efficiency as the BT.

The Genesis 3.1 is $8750 and claims 8.7 miles of range. However, I also know that that number has not been updated since the 2.1 and the 3.1 is a more efficient motor.

Regardless, the Magnus looks to get equal or better range for $1750 less money.

Any Genesis will smoke the magnus anyway you measure it. And I’ll bet a brand new stock 3.1 on a brand new stock magnus any day you want.

Careful, @fullytek might get upset and tell you "it's your last chance"

Actually, it’s been a while since I looked. The mag is has a much bigger battery, it might beat the small Genesis on range slightly. But certainly not on speed.

More of a testimate to how inefficient the bt motor really is, lol.

I mean it is a half to a third of the price of many other scooters.

I don't know about anyone else but I knew what I was getting a value scooter when I bought my BT. While it is good enough for probably a majority DPV drivers, anyone that says it is as good as modern expedition grade scooters are kidding themselves. Heck if it were, then Dive-Xtras wouldn't be making their own expedition grade scooter.

I don't know about anyone else but I knew what I was getting a value scooter when I bought my BT. While it is good enough for probably a majority DPV drivers, anyone that says it is as good as modern expedition grade scooters are kidding themselves. Heck if it were, then Dive-Xtras wouldn't be making their own expedition grade scooter.

"Expedition grade"?

When I think Expedition grade, I think Genesis 3.2 (17 miles) or Seacraft Ghost 2000 (20 miles).

What does Dive-X make that is "expedition grade"? Does 11 miles qualify as "expedition grade"?

Even if it does, with the issues with PTBs, I'm not sure I would consider any scooter with them to be "expedition grade".

My BT has nearly screwed me several times because of PTB voltage imbalance, and that's only between 2 batteries. If you have 4 of them, does that make it 3 times as likely? Does the CudaX do anything special (i.e. something the BlackTip does not do) to make the scooter keep running even when there is a voltage imbalance?

There is no real Quality Control on the Dewalt PTBs - meaning, QC appropriate for cave DPV use. That kinda rules out "expedition" use, in my mind.

PTBs are convenient and cool for a "recreational" scooter, like a BlackTip. Not appropriate - in MY mind - for a technical scooter.

Define "expedition grade" me and my buddy have run new line over a mile in on blacktips. (20ah packs)
It's my primary photogramatry scooter for shooting new shipwrecks in 250ft+ in 39* water.

My blacktip is my go to backup scooter. It's been drug behind me for countless dives🙂

Even with all ive done with them I still think it's a cheap pos🤣

Actually, it’s been a while since I looked. The mag is has a much bigger battery, it might beat the small Genesis on range slightly. But certainly not on speed.
I wouldn't count on it. They're still using square wave controllers and mako props.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom