BLADEFISH Sea Jets - A Completely Different Approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't come to the same conclusion :confused: Divers (regardless of having tried it or not) who examine the quantitative claims of the manufacturer have taken issue with those claims, while those who have not tried it have reasonably refrained from making any unwarranted qualitative assessment of the device. Divers who have actually used it have stated such qualitative assessments (many like it, some don't).

There's no conflict here that I can see. Liking a product does not excuse an untrue statement of fact made by the manufacturer, and such statement being untrue does not necessarily detract from the enjoyment extracted from using it.

Regardless of what I was told, I am sure I can surmise how they came about the speed estimate. Sloppy, but I think I can guess.

The target audience of this machine was the SeaDoo Explorer. That was what they considered the competition. I am pretty sure they tested it against a SeaDoo Explorer, and found the BladeFish to be "slightly" faster. They simply took the SeaDoo claims and revised and extended re speed.

Stupid idea, but not an unexpected mistake from a company that knows little about scooters beyond the SeaDoo type, and probably knows even less about conducting a speed test.

Remember, these people know NOTHING about the types of scooters that many here might use. They probably could not come up with the name of a single technical scooter manufacturer. This ignorance is simply that....ignorance. I am nearly sure they were making no attempt to defraud, deceive, or trick any consumer.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

Remember, these people know NOTHING about the types of scooters that many here might use. They probably could not come up with the name of a single technical scooter manufacturer. This ignorance is simply that....ignorance. I am nearly sure they were making no attempt to defraud, deceive, or trick any consumer.

Phil, I agree completely, there's no need to impute intent on the part of the manufacturer. But one need not be marketing a car at F1 drivers in order to understand basic principles of top speed (not to mention truth in advertising).

If, say, a new car manufacturer like BYD or Geely were to pop up in the US (is it 2011 already?) and advertised a $1,000 600mpg car with a top speed of 500mph, solely due to sloppiness and ignorance of the facts, I have a feeling the market would not sit by and just let those claims stand uncorrected, nor accept such claims on the basis that such a car was only targeted at little old grandmas and infrequent drivers.

Well, I thought this was a thread about the viability and usefulness of the Bladefish from people who have tried it. Luckily I have read some users' reports and got the info I need. I personally will be getting one and if I like it too, will suggest to others.

Are Innovative's claims untrue? I dunno. If they used math to estimate a top speed, how is that different from anyone else who has NOT taken it in the water to use math to contradict their claim? If they're wrong and grossly overestimate, bad on them. But any knowledgeable customer knows whatever is "claimed" is not always the case - it's a best case scenario in most cases. Take the MPG of a car - ever get the same or better mileage on what the sticker said? Sure, I wish every MFG, salesperson, divemaster or whomever told 100% of the truth and gave the exact/truthful #'s every time. But that's not reality. If anyone can TAKE a Bladefish 5000 into the water and use standardized testing equipment (SCUBA, speed, hydrodynamics, thrust, etc) to test and PROVE in #'s what it can do - fantastic. Until then it's all conjecture.

So since this thread has gone a whole new direction - bashing Innovative & how bad they are at their marketing campaign - I now depart this thread...which IMHO should be a different thread.

Well, I thought this was a thread about the viability and usefulness of the Bladefish from people who have tried it.

With all due respect, not at all. Please read the first post in the thread, and also note the forum it's posted in - this thread is about announcing the specs and availability of a new product, by a retailer, and is posted in the general DPV forum and not Hot Deals or any retailer-specific section, nor does the thread title or first post seek any kind of first-person evaluation. As such, general discussion of specs, claims and details is really as fair-game as you can get. I really don't see how one arrives at the conclusion that this thread is about "the viability and usefulness of the Bladefish from people who have tried it." :confused: I mean, if that's what you got out of it, that's fantastic, but that's not what "this thread is about." If you'd like to limit conversation to such, I'd suggest you feel free to start a new thread titled something like, "Bladefish - seeking evaluations from those who have used it."

Fuel for the fire... I just got my regular spam from scuba diving magazine, and it included a review of the Bladefish.

60:Second ScubaLab: Innovative Scuba Concepts Bladefish 5000 | Scuba Diving Magazine

ScubaLab test runs showed that the three speed 18 volt electric motor is powerful enough to whisk you through the water at over three miles per hour.
I would LOVE to know the details of the tests the magazine did. I suspect the "test" was eyeballing the speed of Tobin's naked midget freediver.

Nice impartial review. They don't even have a picture or a video of one in use. They're obviously just blindly regurgitating the manufacturers BS claims.

Also notice there wasn't one shot in that clip where she wasn't kicking to some extent. Just sayin'...:)

LOL at anywhere near 3 mph you wouldn't be able to do any of those body contortions as the drag from the scoot would pull you straight back - especially without a tow chord and harness.

Back
Top Bottom