Blending stick???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The_DivePirate

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
To start off, I have the Oxy hacker handbook, but was wondering if anyone may have first hand experience with such a large compressor. I have a 17cfm Ingresol Rand compressor and want to build a blending stick for it. Its intake is 1" in its original state. I was thinking either a 24"x3" pipe filled with Bio balls from a saltwater sump setup, to mix the blend. Or possibly a 4" pipe, 3' long with a couple of chamber's. And stay with the original 1" tubing to plumb the system. I figured I would build it somewhat like the one drawn up in the book with bio balls instead of side to side baffles. Should work yes? :confused:
DP

im kinda stupid to the entire blending thing, I can run a standard cascade system like a champ though...

what are you wanting to do with the 17cfm compressor?

brett

The 3 inch pipe should work. A short pipe of that size will have no resistance to speak of. I don't know what those bio balls are. Cut the pipe about 30 inches and stuff the pipe partially with your bio things and try blowing through it. Try running the compressor. If the 1 inch tube collapses there is too much vacuum. In any case, obstructive media are a lot simpler and probably more effective than chambers. Personally, I use stainless steel sponges, a heavy duty type of scrubbing pad used by restaurants and so forth. However, the compressor is only 5 cfm and the pipe is 2 inch.

The tubing is actually 1 1/4 tubing. The pipe is 3"x24" and I have better than a hundred balls NEW BIO BALLS - eBay (item 120374332037 end time Feb-08-09 15:40:29 PST) , sorry for the huge link. Not sure how to put in a look here tag. I figured I would put a small 2" camber in the bottom to put an analyzer, but fill the tube mostly full and put the filter on top with a fitting for the O2 and call it good.:confused: I will have to add about 4' of tubing to plumb the system.
DP

I've never seen anything like that. Some people use wiffle balls, I think. There are a lot of ways to do this but there is a common goal, to mix the gas without causing resistance to flow. I'm surprised that one of the manometer or vacuum gauge buffs have not arrived to show you how to build one of those gadgets. Generally, one inch of water column is an acceptable level of vacuum. Personally, I would just observe the compressor operation and verify that its pumping rate is normal. Also, if the intake tube collapses there is too much vacuum.

I've heard of the wiffle golf balls that got to thinking of these bio balls. I think they would have a better effect mixing the O2 into the blend without causing restriction. My concern is that if the tube is too large it would take such a quick flow to get the adequate mix%.
DP

Back
Top Bottom