Blood Gasses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curtis Hopper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Science can make a devise, that mounts on your arm, that measures blood sugar. Why can’t we do the same for nitrogen or other gasses?

This is my first post.

About as close as you will get
That will be fun to watch the development of this unit thru out 2022. I know in the past NEDU was trying to avoid acoustical sensors because there's alot of variables to deal with, and they are not silent.

Why can’t we do the same for nitrogen or other gasses?
There is a device called a pulse oximeter for getting an idea of % oxygen saturation of hemoglobin in the blood. From Answers.com, it works "...by emitting beams of red and infrared light that are passed through a pulsating arteriolar bed. Sensors detect the amount of light absorbed by oxyhemoglobin and deoxyhemoglobin..."

You've heard that oxygenated (arterial) blood is bright red, a different color from deoxygenated (venous) blood. So there's a logical basis for being able to do this, and it's not a direct measure of oxygen.

So it doesn't logically follow that nitrogen dissolved in blood could be measured non-invasively with current technology.

A little quick Googling suggests there's more than one type of continuous glucose monitor that gives readings without requiring a finger stick. I don't know what mechanism they use.

But the bottom line is, there's probably no cost effective way to detect and measure dissolved nitrogen levels in human blood.

What would be the point if you could measure nitrogen levels? What application do you see coming from this?

Note: I suppose a continuous pulse ox. that triggered an alarm if blood hemoglobin sat.s dropped far could be useful.

Science can make a devise, that mounts on your arm, that measures blood sugar. Why can’t we do the same for nitrogen or other gasses?

This is my first post.
Besides what @drrich2 mentioned, there is something called Licox. So it's available but invasive. Not applicable for diving though. Used in neuro ICUs.
Look here.

About as close as you will get at the moment
Thanks for posting; very interesting. From their page, "A DECOMPRESSION BASED ON YOUR BUBBLE MEASUREMENTS|"

I recall in the past it was thought tiny nitrogen bubbles in the blood blocked small blood vessels, contributing to decompression problems, but there's thought to be more to it. I'd be interested to know if there's good research data to justify crafting a decompression algorithm based on these bubble measurements.

Looking at the video, I infer the bubble data is somehow used to adjust guidance from an algorithm (which presumably isn't bubble-driven to begin with). It says after each dive, the sensor measures your venous microbubble level, dive parameters and profile are analyzed with that info., you adjust something called your 'decompression quality index' and send that new configuration to the computer, and the refined model adjusts to your unique physiology.

There are 2 obvious ways that can go. Either you have more bubbles than normal so it resets for more conservative profiles, or you have fewer and it resets for more aggressive profiles. I can already do 4 or 5 typical recreational dives/day with EAN 32. Would you dive longer times, past normal NDLs, because this thing said you don't have bubbles?

My next question is who is this for? Divers staying within the NDL limits of mainstream dive computers seem to be low risk. A small minority of divers report repeat 'undeserved hits' on ScubaBoard; it might appeal to them, but that's a tiny market. It would be nice when diving deep dives with big tanks (e.g.: Jupiter, FL or Morehead City, NC with 120-cf steel tanks) if divers had much longer NDLs, but again, will that be a big enough market?

I don't see a price listed. Wonder what the Odyssey will cost?

Back
Top Bottom