Bloody nose after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heatheroe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We returned last week from a trip to the Bahamas. While there, we did another Discover Scuba course. During the descent, I could not get my ears to equalize. First it was the left then the right, then both. I went from almost panicking to feeling a bit better and and enjoying the dive then uncomfortable again to the point of considering thumbing it, etc. I did keep signaling to the DM to whole time that I was having ear issues but was ok otherwise. He kept a close eye on me the whole time. Once we were at the surface he quietly told me that I had some blood in my mask. I don't know what caused this but I did not do the 2nd dive. I don't know if I'm cut out for diving. I love the underwater world, but I know there are just some things I cannot do. I'm sure there are MANY threads on this topic but just wanted to share my experience. I'm really unsure what to do at this point. Husband is going to go ahead with his certification.

Yep, should have read more before I posted. Thanks for the link. To certify or not?? The question has been haunting me for a few years now. Guess I should assume the answer is "no" at this point.

Unless you have other health problems or issues you did not mention, I would not let one episode of trouble equalizing then a nosebleed stop me from learning to dive. If its something you truly want that is...

Yep, should have read more before I posted. Thanks for the link. To certify or not?? The question has been haunting me for a few years now. Guess I should assume the answer is "no" at this point.
Don't make that assumption, please. If you enjoy it, just take your time equalizing and you shouldn't have any other issues, barring unmentioned health concerns. I've had one instance with a bit of a sinus squeeze and perhaps some minor tearing of my ear-drum that was unnoticed during the dive. (Same bloody nose symptom and minor pain in my ear post dive.) A couple of weeks of healing and some more care when descending, and I still get to go to all the depths I need to go. I invariably take about 2 minutes to descend the first couple dives after a break, but then I can descend at "normal" rates and clear properly as I go.

Some people get nosebleeds quite often when diving just because the air you are breathing while diving is so dry. I don't get them often but I have had a few.

If your nosebleed was really from a squeeze you will learn quite a few ways to equalize during OW especially if you tell your instructor you think you may/are having problems. Generally I think a lot of people have equalization problems but most learn how to deal with them. It's possible you may have some medical issue that makes equalization hard but I don't think that is that common. It's likely just one of the things you may have to work a little harder at learning in the beginning and once certified.

Guess I should assume the answer is "no" at this point.

Not at all. It is a pretty common problem with newer divers, and it can happen to anyone. As you get more and more experience, equalizing the ears gets easier and easier. When I first started diving, equalizing was a real terror for me. Now I barely think about it. Even so, last year I was doing a dive and started to ascend at the end. I saw someone in my group drop something, and I descended to pick it up off the sand. For some reason I suddenly got congested, and I had trouble descending those last few feet because of my ears. I finally got down, but when I went up, I had blood in my mask. It happens.

One problem also with resort courses is that they are often on a schedule and don't allow the time it often takes new people to get down. In that you were having equalizing issues you, not the DM, should have been controlling the rate of descent. For that matter the swims and ascents as well. A good OW course will tell you this. A not so good one will ignore or gloss over it. The slowest diver sets the pace of all phases of the dive. Lots of instructors who don't seem to know this either.

During our OW dives, my son had issues with equalizing also. Our instructor told him to take his time and it would get easier with more time in the water. His last couple of dive went pretty well for him.

Heatherroe do not despair! You may not have read enough info on equalization or/and you may not have learned the most efficient methods for you to equalize. Here something more to read: Genesis Dive Institute of Florida presents: Scuba Diving Tips
I suggest that you get a medical check up on your ears and sinus cavity before enrolling or participating in any future scuba classes. Your congestion in your sinus cavity (blockage) may have caused you to attempt to equalize using so much force that you may have ruptured a blood vessel causing a nose bleed most noticeable at the end of the dive when the reduced pressures at shallower depth and internal gas in your sinus expanded releasing the blood. Go get a check up, there may be a simple reason for your discomfort which could be corrected or adjusted for (slower descents). Good Luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom