Blowing bubbles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vayu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

If the weather holds, I will be doing my certification dives this weekend. One thing I am somewhat apprehensive about is the emergency swim ascent. Does anyone have tips for conserving air in emergency situations? For some reason even a minute seems like an eternity when you have to keep moving.

Thanks,

V

I did my certification only a year ago and the CESA- Controlled emergency swimming ascent is nothing to be worried about- As you ascend at a very slow pace,( i was told no faster than the smallest bubble you can see ) you can feel the air expanding inside you giving a constant floww of bubbles coming out of your mouth. This was a very calming feeling, and at no point did i feel panicked during the ascent. You will be amazed at how slow you could go and still not have a need for extra air!
To generally conserve air the key is just to try and keep calm and think before you do anything, Good luck!

One of the other things to keep in mind is that these will be your checkout dives and more than likely your CESA will be in less than 30' of water..

I personaly know people who have done a CESA from 100' and been just fine.

Just like craig5381 said, the key is to remain calm and slowly blow bubbles durring the entire ascent. Also remember will still have plenty of air and your instrutor will be right there with you if anything should happen.

Congrats on getting certified, and welcome to the wonderfull world of Diving!

Phil
Vayu:
Hi,

If the weather holds, I will be doing my certification dives this weekend. One thing I am somewhat apprehensive about is the emergency swim ascent. Does anyone have tips for conserving air in emergency situations? For some reason even a minute seems like an eternity when you have to keep moving.

Thanks,

V

I third the eerie feeling of being able to continuously blow bubbles on ascent. In the pool you can't really feel it but from 30fsw you can really feel it.

It is amazing!

Stay calm and remember to exhale slowly and you will be fine.

Good luck.

Agreeing with the above. What makes you crave air is the CO2 buildup in your lungs. Slowly exhaling lets some of that CO2 out as you go, which lessens that I-gotta-breathe-now urge. Much easier than you'd think actually. Good luck and congrats! :)

Try making the ahhhh sound for as long as you can, time yourself and try again. With practice, you can stretch it for longer than 30 seconds, and that is without expansion. That has helped some of my students build a little confidence.

Don't worry about it. In Open Water you will be doing it from a deeper depth than you did in the pool and once you start your ascent it goes quick. Physics takes over and the air in your BC expands along with your wetsuit and the air in your lungs. Just blow bubbles like you were blowing through a straw. It will be over faster than you would think.

Good luck and welcome.

You don't say if you're male or female but...

If you are male, make the tiniest, squeakiest little high pitched noise you can (like you've just been kicked somewhere you don't want to be :O

Men tend to give big AAAAAAAH! and empty their lungs quite quickly.

HTH

Dom

I had the same concerns when I did my cert dives, but just like everyone else said it really is no problem and goes by very quickly...as you ascend, just keep blowing bubbles...you have more air (because of the physics associated with compression/pressure) than you think you do...

If you don't like or are uncomfortable making the aaaaaaah sound, try simulating spitting out watermelon seeds. It's helps keep you from exhaling too much too quickly. Try it, it works great.

Back
Top Bottom