Blown off the Hood Canal today...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve Egner

Contributor
Reaction score
But yesterday was awesome.

The sun peeked over the Eastern skies early, illuminating quiet waters. After enjoying coffee in our cottage overlooking the canal, we ventured out for our dives.

Two of our group recently finished their AOW courses, and boldly ventured to a depth of 123' at Rosie's Ravine. We had 25' visibility at the Pinnacle, where our newest OW diver executed a perfect safety stop in a swirling water column. We chatted for a bit with a tight-lipped Wolf Eel, and mingled with the most abundant assortment of huge Ling Cod, Rockfish, and Cabezon I've ever found at this site.

We wrapped up our excursion with a night dive at Black Point, the first night dive ever for three of our group. Hundreds of shrimp eyes glowed at us like tiny rubies. We saw signs of resident predators everywhere, piles of crab and clam shells, but never spotted the Octopus who made them.

We kept our fingers crossed all night, hoping for a similar day today, but the winds were blowing over 25 mph by 7:00 a.m., and gusted strongly through the day, causing Don to call any further dives.

Don and Diane Coleman were as welcoming and hospitable as ever, perfectly seeing to the needs of a group of divers of varying levels of experience. Two of our group had never been on a boat dive before, and thanks to the Coleman family (including Mike and Krista), they are now hopeless boat dive addicts. All a part of my cunning plan to cultivate obsessive dive buddies.

Special thanks again to Don, Diane, Krista, and Mike... you folks made this a great dive weekend. You can look them up at www.pacadventure.com for unparalleled hospitality on the Hood Canal.

It's just a shame that I had to watch some football today...:wink:

Steve

I had planned on a Bandito last Sunday, but when it looked the weather was changing, went to Sund Rock instead on Saturday. Sounds like I made the right choice. Glad you got in good ones on Saturday too. Once you get under the milky freshwater, things looked pretty good.

Steve B

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom