Blown out of NC - ending Up at Alabama Blue Water - Pelham, AL 4/2/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, any of you Lake Lanier Looney Birds want to help me map out WBP for my divemaster's course this Sunday?

I promise to reciprocate.

the K

What time were you think about doing this D? I am going to be working on Sunday, but may get off early enough that I could get out in the lake in the afternoon if nobody is willing to help you. Let me know if I need to try to get off early,

Matt

Corigan:
If worst comes to worst, atleast it is Flood insured by DEPP already.. :p

Speaking from experience, great idea.

Corigan:
What time were you think about doing this D? I am going to be working on Sunday, but may get off early enough that I could get out in the lake in the afternoon if nobody is willing to help you. Let me know if I need to try to get off early,

Matt

I was planning on getting into the water in the early to mid-afternoon. I'll be laying out the land contours in the morning to early afternoon.

The Kraken:
Hey, any of you Lake Lanier Looney Birds want to help me map out WBP for my divemaster's course this Sunday?

K,
I would love to help out with this, but I will be heading for the Destin area with the family for a little beach time. Hope all goes well for ya.

The Kraken:

I promise to reciprocate.

the K

Sorry TK, but I'll be fishing in FL. Wish you the best of luck. May you NOT find any bodies!!!

Jeremy

Look at you two !!!
Heading to nice places like that and not inviting the rest of us !!!!
WELL !!! We'll be remembering this, by golly . . . !!!!! :wink:

Corigan:
Already taken into consideration. I assume with the breakfest stops, and plenty of restroom stops (all that hydration), We won't be getting there all that early. :) If I actually get out of here at 6AM I think it will be a miracle. Kyle's a tough one to wake up, I've almost had to kick him a few times to get him up. Ok, so I did kick him a few times, but who's going to say anything.. :p LOL..

Matt

When are you heading to Pelham? I'd like to possibly join if possible.

Sorry we missed you ISPY, I am thinking about going out to lanier next weekend if you would like. If not there will be plenty more quarry trips.

Quick Report here, since I am a tad bit tired and still have a ton of work/cleaning to do around the house.

Kyle and I arrived at Alabama Blue Water around 9:00 CST. The wind was brutal but the sun was shining and it got up to 61 degrees while we were out there. We had a great time, and are definately going to be going back to the quarry quite frequently.

First Dive: :36 Min BT, 86' depth, Bottom Temp/Min Temp 53 degrees, 57 on surface. Viz 40'. Kyle had a small air leak on the valve of his tank (not rented from Blue water btw if you were wondering, heh), which I notified him of instantly since we did a bubble check. Using seasigns was great underwater and the more we use them the more fluent we got. It was easy enough to communicate to him via hand signals that he had a small air leak, to watch his pressure, and to ask him if he wished to proceed. I would definately recommend seasigns to everybody, but enough of that. Since he had a small leak the dive was cut a tad bit short, but not bad. The viz was great since we were one of the first sets of divers (if not the first) to hit the water. Lots of fun wrecks and sunken junk as well as fish to look at. We didn't go any deeper than 86' as my MOD was 90' on my Mix. I depth tested my housing and all went well on this dive.

We chatted with Steelslinger (thanks for putting up with us!) and chatted with some other instructors to waste away the SI. To my suprise I was chatting with a tec instructor and to my suprise his student was Eanxgirl. :) Nice seeing you again, and hopefully we will get to dive together again one of these days. Pleasant suprise seeing her out there. I wanted to say goodbye to you before we left, but you were on the bottom, and I had no clue when you would be coming up.

Second Dive: :50 Min BT, 66' depth, Bottom Temp/Min Temp 55 degrees, 57 on surface. Viz was 30' or so. The viz had been a tad bit churned up by some other divers, but still plenty nice. Some particules in the water, but not too bad. I took my camera down with me this dive, but of course forgot my slate to adjust the white balance. I decided to not walk up the stairs with all my gear on to get a slate and decided to just shoot in cruddy ole P mode and deal with the results. I knew they wearn't going to be pretty, but still not too bad. I knew they were going to come out Green. Looking forward to shooting in Manual and being able to adjust my white balance with a slate (nice thought). Kyle and I went to the right side of the quarry and messed around the fire engines and such and had a good time. I'm attaching a few photos from todays dives, but nothing I would save or even put in a gallery.. :) Once is kyle squating on a Pot trying to get his buisness done.. :D I owe him since he sprung an OOA at a great time. I wasn't paying attention taking pictures and he sprung it on me. I had just exhaled so I got to perform an OOA drill without air while I was passing and transfering to my safe second. Nice drill though, and a great time to spring it on me. I was as unsuspecting as could be.

All in all a great day, even though I wish it wasn't so windy. Would have loved to have pulled 3 dives out there today. Kyle and I are definately going to be diving out there quite a bit this summer.

Matt

:eyebrow: Sorry I had to go, you know how it is. I had a great time out at ABB, viz was awsome on the first dive. It was still good on the second. The area over to the right where the fire trucks were was colder than the area by the bus over to the left. We met some very nice people out there, and I recomend diving there anytime we cant go to north florida. Sorry no one else could make it ,but we need to get a plan for a big group to go out there and dive together. Im up for it anytime. As for our dive this weekend Matt pretty much sumed it up, it was great. Hope to see yall in the water soon.

Kyle

Back
Top Bottom