Blue and Mako sharks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Noey, we were in the middle of the ocean in Southern California, I think we were SE of Catalina Island.

Scott

---------- Post added June 2nd, 2014 at 02:27 PM ----------

I put together a video from the trip yesterday, I hope you enjoy it!

Scott Gietler
Owner, Bluewater Photo & Bluewater Travel

Glad to see you are finding and photographing them out there, Scott. I hear great things about your trips.

Unfortunately I think back 40-45 years when encountering sharks in the waters off Catalina was a daily experience. You'd even see them on shore dives occasionally. And there were often dozens of them sighted from the boat on the way to the next dive site. Sadly, our island-based sharks dives stopped a few years ago due to the few numbers sighted even after hours of chumming.

I was certified by LACUU in 1970 and made periodic trips to Catalina from 1970-1980 before leaving California. We very frequently, nearly always, saw Blue Sharks in the early 70s, they already seemed to have decreased by the end of the decade. Everyone has their old days, mine were spectacular.

Back
Top Bottom