Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My son and I plan to dive BHB in July. We have all gear except tank and weights. Do anyone recommend hiring a DM ? What OP you recommend to get the tanks and weight ?
Anyone in SB want to join us 7/18 ?

My son and I plan to dive BHB in July. We have all gear except tank and weights. Do anyone recommend hiring a DM ? What OP you recommend to get the tanks and weight ?
Pura Vida dive shop is a little to the east of the park, and Force E is a little west of the park either is fine for tanks and weights (I am partial to Pura Vida myself). BHB is a relatively easy dive there is some current to deal with, but nothing that is going to sweep you a long distance away. Google Blue Heron Bridge dive and you will find some good explanations on how to dive it. However, both shops have dive guides and @Scuba_Jenny who is often on this thread is well respected as a guide. Using a dive guide for your first dive flattens the learning curve, makes it easier to not waste time figuring things out for yourself, and are great for pointing out fish and critters you might not find yourself.

Most important, check surf report before you plan to go. If the forecast is 2+ ft, I won't even bother.

Pura Vida dive shop is a little to the east of the park, and Force E is a little west of the park either is fine for tanks and weights (I am partial to Pura Vida myself). BHB is a relatively easy dive there is some current to deal with, but nothing that is going to sweep you a long distance away. Google Blue Heron Bridge dive and you will find some good explanations on how to dive it. However, both shops have dive guides and @Scuba_Jenny who is often on this thread is well respected as a guide. Using a dive guide for your first dive flattens the learning curve, makes it easier to not waste time figuring things out for yourself, and are great for pointing out fish and critters you might not find yourself.
No matter whom you choose, if you choose to this is the most important part :
Using a dive guide for your first dive flattens the learning curve, makes it easier to not waste time figuring things out for yourself, and are great for pointing out fish and critters you might not find yourself.

Thanks Pipehorse for the excellent wording.

No matter whom you choose, if you choose to this is the most important part :
Using a dive guide for your first dive flattens the learning curve, makes it easier to not waste time figuring things out for yourself, and are great for pointing out fish and critters you might not find yourself.

Thanks Pipehorse for the excellent wording.
Jenny you are hired 🤣

Seriously let me know if you are available for a dive 7/18

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 1025 for a 1156 high tide. Due to the weather there were no beach goers, boats, or fisherman at the park, just divers, so the the park was not crowded at all. Since there were so few boats today, the dive was blessedly devoid of the constant droning assault of boat noise usually experienced there. Visibility was 50 ft, and sea temp was 82f. Did a REEF fish survey, 67 species in 60 minutes. If you present your fins in a proper manner to a school of Atlantic Spadefish generally they will approach turn themselves sideways and rub themselves against your fins, I have posted several videos of this behavior. Today I was vertical in the water while videoing. The spadefish decided to rub themselves against the camera, my arms, and my head. Wish somebody was videoing me videoing the spadefish. In the images there are some Bicolor Damsels with interesting color variations, and a Juvenile French Angelfish with a color variation which I have taken pictures of last year, compared todays images. The diver with the flag underwater instead of on the surface, and the Lantern Bass that has beautiful color but is taken for granted at the bridge because they are so plentiful. Respectively, Barbfish closeup, Bicolor Damselfish, Diver with flag underwater, Striated Frogfish, earlier image of French Angelfish, today's image of the French Angelfish, Polkadot Batfish, Atlantic Spadefish closeup, and Atlantic Spadefish video.
06-03-22 Barbfish.jpeg
06-03-22 Bicolor Damsels.jpeg
06-03-22 Diveflag Underwater.jpeg
06-03-22 Frogfish.jpeg
IMG_1008 (2).jpeg
06-03-22 Juve French Angelfish.jpeg
06-03-22 Lantern Bass.jpeg
06-03-22 Polkadot Batfish.jpeg
06-03-22 Spadefish Closeup.jpeg

fun! I love it when the spade fish rub on the fins.

Plan to be in the water 30-45 minutes before high tide. That gets you best visibility & least current. 3 hours after high tide is a very different experience there.

Parking starts to get tight about an hour to an hour & a half before high tide on week days & earlier on weekends, unless high tide is like 7:00am.

It's a pretty easy shore access dive with a short walk from the parking lot, outdoor showers near the beach edge & low quality rest rooms on site. Max depth is not likely to be much more than 20 feet. Stay out of the boat channel just to the south.

The rest seems to have already been covered. Have a great dive.

Plan to be in the water 30-45 minutes before high tide. That gets you best visibility & least current. 3 hours after high tide is a very different experience there.

Parking starts to get tight about an hour to an hour & a half before high tide on week days & earlier on weekends, unless high tide is like 7:00am.

It's a pretty easy shore access dive with a short walk from the parking lot, outdoor showers near the beach edge & low quality rest rooms on site. Max depth is not likely to be much more than 20 feet. Stay out of the boat channel just to the south.

The rest seems to have already been covered. Have a great dive.
Thank you very much for the insight

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 1215 for a 1358 high tide. The park was crowded but not so bad that parking could be had by anybody who wanted it. Entered the west side at 1245. Water had a greenish tinge with blue water pushing out the greenish water as the dive proceeded. Visibility was anywhere from 20ft to 35ft depending on how I was positioned along the green water/blue water interface. Sea temp was 82f. Did a REEF fish survey, 63 species in 60 minutes. With regards to images, no I did not pick up the Giant Hermit Crab and set on the Cushion Sea Star, I found it that way. Respectively, Bridled Goby in a Bottle, Female Bluethroat Pikeblenny, Giant Hermit Crab riding a Cushion Sea Star, Hogfish, Juvenile Cottonwicks with one Juvenile French Grunt, and male Sailfin Blenny.
06-06-22 Bridled Goby in a Bottle.jpeg
06-06-22 Female Bluethroat.jpeg
06-06-22 Giant Hermit on a Cushion Star.jpeg
06-06-22 Hogfish.jpeg
06-06-22 Juvenile Cottonwicks with one Juvenile French Grunt.jpeg
06-06-22 Male Sailfin Blenny.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom