Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any vis reports?
Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0700 for an 0716 high tide. Looking over the seawall next to the pier the go/no go test failed, i.e. I could not see the bottom. Standing on the pier looking below I could barely make out the bottom on the other side of the turbidity boom. I did not pass go, I did not collect $200, and I did not gear up to dive. There were some divers and snorkelers in the water. The same people crossing the road south to access the beach when I arrived were the same people crossing the road north to return to their vehicles when I left 15 minutes later. I figured there had been enough time for vis to have cleared up since the swells of last week but apparently not. Supposedly we are entering the El Nino phase of the southern oscillation which is supposed to mean drier weather for the south east United States. But already in the space of 8 days we are enduing 2 tropical disturbances. Adding some images from past dives, respectively, Spadefish, Grunts, and more Grunts.

04-09-23 Spadefish3.jpeg
05-10-23 Mostly Bluestripe Grunt.jpeg
05-10-23 Smallmouth Grunts.jpeg

I did not pass go, I did not collect $200,
On the upside, there was no need to clean all the gear and no need to top up the tanks :)
Last Friday we arrived late and skipped the viz test, big mistake. Could barely see my own hand when extended. Looking over that fishing pier is definitely the way to go every time from now on.

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0700 for an 0716 high tide. Looking over the seawall next to the pier the go/no go test failed, i.e. I could not see the bottom. Standing on the pier looking below I could barely make out the bottom on the other side of the turbidity boom. I did not pass go, I did not collect $200, and I did not gear up to dive. There were some divers and snorkelers in the water. The same people crossing the road south to access the beach when I arrived were the same people crossing the road north to return to their vehicles when I left 15 minutes later. I figured there had been enough time for vis to have cleared up since the swells of last week but apparently not. Supposedly we are entering the El Nino phase of the southern oscillation which is supposed to mean drier weather for the south east United States. But already in the space of 8 days we are enduing 2 tropical disturbances. Adding some images from past dives, respectively, Spadefish, Grunts, and more Grunts.
Was hoping to dive there the weekend of June 10th. Any thoughts/predictions from past experience on how it might be in a week?

Was hoping to dive there the weekend of June 10th. Any thoughts/predictions from past experience on how it might be in a week?

A week is a LONG TIME. Viz should be fine by then assuming the current extended forecast is close to accurate, may be much improved by tomorrow or Sunday even. Topside conditions have been great. It just takes time for the churned up water to settle and flow out of the area. Now if we get another strong NE swell, all bets are off.

This is pretty abnormal for vis to be poor and this bad for so long. If the past tells us anything, vis can quickly change from one day to the next. We're just waiting for the vis gods to snap their magical fingers and we'll be good. In other words, the vis can flip any day now. Maybe TS Arlene will affect some quick change.

Thankfully Arlene is fizzling out. Maybe the viz will clear..

Went to the bridge for diving today and yesterday. Yesterday the visibility was just good enough to pass the go/no go test. Snorkeled the trail before hand and did a REEF survey 34 species in 50 minutes. Visibility was 10ft, and sea temp was 82f. Visibility definitely effects the species count when snorkeling and diving. Since the vis was not very good I used a 50cuft tank for my dive and did the east side. There were not a lot of divers in the water. I guess the most interesting part of the dive was the 10 or so Snook that were in the vicinity of wreck directly under the bridge. I have seen Snook there before in better visibility but they usually take off when divers show up. I guess they feel more comfortable in the low visibility water, as I was able to get pretty close to them. There was also a dead Loggerhead Turtle on the beach, by the way its shell was broken in the back, I was guessing it must have been struck by a propeller. Today the visibility did not pass the go/no go test. There were some people suiting up to go diving mostly seemed like students. Undecided at this point whether to pother going tomorrow or if I should just head down south like I did on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday I did the Erojacks Erojacks Dive Report 06/03/23 and Sunday I did LBTS LBTS 06/04/23. Respectively, Caribbean Reef Squid, Dead Loggerhead Turtle, Foureye Butterfly, What Vis Looked Like on the Snorkeler Trail, Snook Video, and Squid Video

06-05-23 Caribbean Reef Squid.jpg
06-05-23 Dead Loggerhead.jpg
06-05-23 Foureye Butterflyfish.jpg
06-05-23 What Vis On Snorkel Trail.jpg

Hopefully someone reported to FWC about the turtle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom