Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to the bridge for diving today and yesterday. Arrived at least three hours before high tide on both days. On both days I snorkeled the trail 2.5 hours before high tide. By the time I returned from snorkeling on both days the park was very crowded, though still parking spaces available on the fringes. Did REEF surveys while snorkeling and while diving. Did the west side on Saturday, and it was difficult to escape other divers in the water. Did the east side on Sunday with similar results as Saturday. Visibility was about 35ft on both days, and sea temp was 78-79f on both days. The big Barracuda mentioned in past posts seem to have taken up permanent residence under the east span. Respectively, Hogfish, Mutton Snappers, Pygmy Filefish, Snakefish, and Atlantic Spadefish.

12-02-23 Hogfish.jpg
12-02-23 Mutton Snapper.jpg
12-02-23 Pygmy Filefish.jpg
12-02-23 Snakefish.jpg
12-02-23 Spadeifsh.jpg

, and it was difficult to escape other divers in the water.
Dive shops are saying they are getting lots of open water new student classes for divers getting ready to take christmas week trips. I'm going to guess you won't even dive BHB between Xmas & New Years since it will be so crowded. Great pictures as always and thank you for posting condition!!

Although it's not the main focus of this video, enough details about the habits & abilities of octopi are given, so that it may help you to recognize them when the are hiding in the wild at places like BHB

...of course, having a guide, like the dirty fined scuba goddess, show you where to look for them, is also quite helpful.

Nice octopus video..
Reminds me of this book I listened to earlier this year
Remarkably Bright Creatures. Fun read.

Forty plus years ago Jacques Cousteau wrote a book called The Soft Intelligence (IIRC) about their observations of octopi. I think I know where I have my set of the JC book series packed away. Now I want to go find it. I hope frogs aren’t on their menu, I’m too slow to run and too old and weak to fight!
🐸

Went to the bridge for diving yesterday. I did not got today, after eleven straight days, I had errands that needed doing around the house. Yesterday, arrived at 1030 for a 1344 high tide. Entered the water to the east at 1100 to snorkel trail. Did a REEF fish survey of 54 species in 55 minutes. Suited up in scuba and entered for diving at 1215. Did a REEF fish survey of 55 species in 75 minutes. I was not using my Sealife Sportdiver with iphone for picture taking. About a month ago I found a Lumix LX-10 with Nauticam Housing for sale here on Scubaboard so I bought it. Had not gotten around taking reading instructions and familiarizing myself with it until Sunday. I don't have strobes for it at the moment, so I used Backscatter MW4300 video light with it. So far I am pleased with the results. Resolution is much better than the iphone. With the 24-70 optical zoom lens it can do alright, but macro and wide angle lens would probably have to be added. The reason I bought it was the size, it is of course bigger than the sealife sportdiver, but small enough so that I can dangle it from one finger of the hand that I hold my fish survey slate in, when not taking images. Respectively, Bandtail Puffer, Juvenile Fish in Canopy of Moon Jellyfish, Spotted Moray, Long Arm Octopus, and Phoronopsis Californica.

12-03-23 Bandtail Puffer.JPG
12-03-23 Fish In Jelly.JPG
12-03-23 Spotted Moray.JPG
12-04-23 Longarm Octopus.JPG
12-04-23 Phoronopsis californica.JPG

Looks like you’ve moved up a lot, Pipehorse. I’m not familiar with that camera and housing, but that rig certainly gave you some good results.
I’m going to have to up my game when I come down. Your images are inspirational as always.
🐸

I haven't had time to jump in lately, but water clarity has been looking pretty good for the last few days. Even low tide is not as mucky as it usually is. It's cane harvesting season right now, so the nitrate loads in the ICW are down for a change. Take advantage while you can.

These photos from a couple of weeks ago. High tide was at 11:40a that day and I was in the water at about 10a. I was in the water a bit too early, as I had an afternoon dive booked with Narcosis. Water temp was 79°, and visibility was about 30 feet.

Being so early meant there was a ripping current which certainly made things difficult. I burned through my tank rather quickly and didn't get as much photo time as I had hoped for. I only ended up with a handful of good-ish photos.

2023-12-02-BHB-&-Riviera-Beach-0001.jpg

2023-12-02-BHB-&-Riviera-Beach-0003.jpg

Blue-eye Hermit Crab​

2023-12-02-BHB-&-Riviera-Beach-0004.jpg

Stoplight Parrotfish​

2023-12-02-BHB-&-Riviera-Beach-0007.jpg

Ballonfish (Diodon holocanthus)​

2023-12-02-BHB-&-Riviera-Beach-0008.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom